Framerate discrepancies between versions
So I downloaded PCSX2 1.2.1 and got it running (plugins, BIOS, etc).
But it felt weird, my FPS in-game would stay stable in 60 for like, 10 seconds then drop to 30 all of the sudden. My friend with a computer thats exactly like mine was getting 60 fps all day long, but his version was 0.9.9 svn Jan 2015. So I tried to tweak some settings, to no avail. Then I copied his PCSX2 folder to my computer and to my surprise, his copy of PCSX2 would run flawlessly on my computer.

Our computer specs are the following (they are Dell laptops btw):
Intel Core i5-4210U 1.7ghz
AMD Radeon R7 M265 2GB
4GB RAM 1600MHz
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

So what is the difference that makes a later version to perform worse?

Sponsored links

The newer versions are much more precise, so they have higher requirements as well. That's all there is to it
In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(04-14-2015, 10:06 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
Intel Core i5-4210U 1.7ghz
AMD Radeon R7 M265 2GB
4GB RAM 1600MHz
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

(04-14-2015, 10:06 PM)jesalvein Wrote: The version of PCSX2 you are using.

(04-14-2015, 10:06 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Any non default settings you are using.
All settings are default.
The only thing I've changed was the graphics plugin, which I've changed to the SSE41 one, and also changed its renderer to Direct3D11.

(04-14-2015, 10:06 PM)jesalvein Wrote: What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.
I've tested framerates with Silent Hill 3 and Odin Sphere, both from ISO.
Yeah. Both games gained accuracy since 1.0.0
If you're looking for playability over accuracy, keep playing on older version, or on your real ps2 until you can afford a better machine
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(04-14-2015, 10:39 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Yeah. Both games gained accuracy since 1.0.0
If you're looking for playability over accuracy, keep playing on older version, or on your real ps2 until you can afford a better machine

What specs on my computer should I focus to get a better performance? CPU? GPU? RAM?
CPU is the biggest bottleneck in most cases. Even a pretty low-end gpu is good enough for at least 2x native res. I'd recommend getting an i5 processor if you're going Intel. Practically any GPU should suffice.
(04-14-2015, 10:59 PM)Rassane Wrote: CPU is the biggest bottleneck in most cases. Even a pretty low-end gpu is good enough for at least 2x native res. I'd recommend getting an i5 processor if you're going Intel. Practically any GPU should suffice.

Well..... My current CPU is an i5.
Unfortunately it ends with an U.
Rassane was referring to desktop cpu's.
(04-14-2015, 11:03 PM)willkuer Wrote: Unfortunately it ends with an U.
Rassane was referring to desktop cpu's.

I did a quick search right now and I found out that these U processors are up to half the speed of M processors. I did not know that when I bought my computer. Thanks for the heads up.