Framerate issues/slowdown
Hi,

I have installed the current beta version (0.9.7) of PCSX2 today (as the beta is the recommended version on the download page). I have set everything up correctly and am able to run games, although for now I have only tried to run one game, Ape Escape 2.

The problem is, during any cutscenes/movies and in-game my framerate goes down to about 24fps, and I get a huge slowdown and it goes into 'slow motion'. I assumed that my PC is fully capable of running a PS2 emulator but that could be the problem, I'm not sure. Anyway, here is my system spec:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2180 overclocked to 3GHz, stock speed is 2GHz (1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB)

2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2/PC6400 memory (there is usually about 1.6/1.7GB free when my computer is idle at the desktop)

GeForce GTX 260, 216 core, 896MB

Windows XP 32-bit

Is this system capable of running a PS2 emulator/PS2 games? It can handle most PC games and such so I would have thought so.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea what the problem could be with regard to the graphics slowdown/bad framerate? And is there anything I can do to improve it and solve the problem/make the games playable?

Thanks.

Sponsored links

Intel Pentium isn't fast as you think. Try applying some speed hacks.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0GHz
MOB: ECS A780GM-A
GPU: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
RAM: 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 400MHz
(08-21-2010, 11:04 PM)DarkFang Wrote: Intel Pentium isn't fast as you think. Try applying some speed hacks.

i have 2.2 ghz i play gow2 (heavy game ) full speed
(08-21-2010, 10:33 PM)d3moliti0n Wrote: Hi,

I have installed the current beta version (0.9.7) of PCSX2 today (as the beta is the recommended version on the download page). I have set everything up correctly and am able to run games, although for now I have only tried to run one game, Ape Escape 2.

The problem is, during any cutscenes/movies and in-game my framerate goes down to about 24fps, and I get a huge slowdown and it goes into 'slow motion'. I assumed that my PC is fully capable of running a PS2 emulator but that could be the problem, I'm not sure. Anyway, here is my system spec:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2180 overclocked to 3GHz, stock speed is 2GHz (1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB)

2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2/PC6400 memory (there is usually about 1.6/1.7GB free when my computer is idle at the desktop)

GeForce GTX 260, 216 core, 896MB

Windows XP 32-bit

Is this system capable of running a PS2 emulator/PS2 games? It can handle most PC games and such so I would have thought so.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea what the problem could be with regard to the graphics slowdown/bad framerate? And is there anything I can do to improve it and solve the problem/make the games playable?

Thanks.
you will be able to play it about 40 fbs or higher so it playable speed but do this things
1 native in gsdx
2 use frame skipping to skip and draw 10
3 play with the speed hacks and fixes one by one it actuly brakes games it is not sily worings
Abdo, some of your information are not understandable, what you mean for Frame skipping to skip and draw 10?
They are not related things. Frame skipping should be avoided and used only as last resource.
Skipdraw (I understand it's what you mean) = x tells the emulator (actually the GS plugin) to skip entire layer (x is the level and not amount of them), it should never be recommended except for determined games it could be of some benefit since it will break almost all others games. It may be the entire hud being missed, the minimap, parts of menu or the whole of it and so on.

@OP Yes, speed hacks may be the way to go there, indeed is your CPU the bottleneck even on that overclock. As a rule of thumb those marked as recommend are known to work with most games without issues (feel free to toggle them off/on if they don't give any boost).

EE cyclerate normally gives some boost in FPS but tend to break most games when above the first notch. Sound is commonly the most affected there.
VU cycle stealing is the one that normally gives the most FPS wise but it may introduces lags since actions will be skipped, still it's probably better (I could say surely is) than raw low FPS. A common setup is getting it to the second step since many games play reasonably with it, a few others can really break with minimal VU C stealing (Xenosaga series just as an example).

Another common source of issues being high internal resolution, that's most common when the video card is good and so tend to fool the user it'll be enough for that resolution. This is true but, in emulation, significant part of the load still goes to the already overloaded CPU. Keep an eye on the EE and GS meters and notice which is needing more 'attention'.

One final recommendation, try toggling the 8-bits textures since it may really lag some games.
Imagination is where we are truly real
he means try using the frame skipping and set frame draw to 10...

well im using pentium and i can definitely tell you that i can outrun core 2 duo.. so dont tell me that a pentium cant do better than a core 2 duo..
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
A core2duo at the same clocks will always win.
[Image: 1454055.png]
That depends on the architecture... Pentium Dual-Core E5300 would beat a Core 2 Duo E4700 despite of having the same cache and clocks, Pentium E6300 would be faster than Core 2 Duo E6700, it also depends on the bus speed and not only the total speed...
In the end you can get similar performance on a Pentium dual-core (or just "Pentium" on some CPUs... stupid intel naming...) to that of a core 2 duo at same CPU clock.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
well the point is that.. pentium and core 2 duos can both run pcsx2.. so stop sayin pentium processor isnt that fast
(08-22-2010, 04:20 PM)darkvirus Wrote: well the point is that.. pentium and core 2 duos can both run pcsx2.. so stop sayin pentium processor isnt that fast

Pentium processor isn't that fast.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0GHz
MOB: ECS A780GM-A
GPU: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
RAM: 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 400MHz
It isn't that fast, well specifically speaking netburst arch anyway, pentium based on core 2 arch is fast.