Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free program to open and edit .exe files?
I'm using an English patch to play a Japanese game.

The patch is an .exe file, which replace the original one.

It changes the menu and names to English.

Now I wanna change the names back to Japanese but keep the English menu.

But first I need a program to edit .exe files.

Help please.

Thanx Smile
[Image: 53146021.jpg]

Sponsored links

http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go
Assuming you got the authors permission to modify his file, I would say a hex editor is your best bet, there are also 'resource editors' but I doubt that will do what you want.
Intel Core I7 930@3.5GHz(TB, HT), 6GB DDR3@1600MHz, Geforce 970 G1
I use xvi32, it's been good to me so far
Thanx. I tried the freeHex Editor Neo, and opened the .exe, but dunno what to do Laugh The text is all gibberish
If you're looking for the actual text in the exe you won't find it. The script and things like that are usually in separate archives. You have to extract, edit, and rebuild them, then edit the exe to support them. I assumed you were on the last step...

Edit: BTW you're more likely to get help with this kind of thing at sites like Hongfire, assuming this is a visual novel we're talking about
I tried using Notepad++ to open the .exe file, and actually found the text I want to edit.

Can I edit and save it in Notepad++ ?
no, notepad++ will save the scrambled characters with a text set corrupting the file
just convert the text into hex ie "Hello there" = hex "48 65 6C 6C 6F 20 74 68 65 72 65" find it in the hex editor then replace it (as long as the string doesn't exceed previous bytes.)
Intel Core I7 930@3.5GHz(TB, HT), 6GB DDR3@1600MHz, Geforce 970 G1
OK. Thanx. Looks like a lot of work, I'll pass Tongue2

(04-10-2012, 03:11 PM)synce Wrote: BTW you're more likely to get help with this kind of thing at sites like Hongfire, assuming this is a visual novel we're talking about

I dunno what's Hongfire or visual novel Rolleyes but it's a KOEI game