Frequent Updates Cause SSD wear ?
So I have the nightly version and there are lots of updates everyday, I am concerned it might cause SSD wear over time ?  How do I set PCSX2 so that it updates every month ? In the options it says I can defer the updates or skip them ?  What does each one do ?  

Also, How can I see that I am using the AVX2 version of PCSX2 ? I can't find anything in the "About PCSX2" window ?

Sponsored links

The amount of ssd usage PCSX2 updates cause is negligible vs SSD resilience. If you're so worried about it... Get CrystalDiskInfo and check what your SSD's lifetime remaining is.

In general, even cheaper ssd write resilience is somewhere around 0.8 of its size times 1000 (3 years) or so. In other words, you'll need to fill & empty your ssd drive in its entirety EVERY DAY for 3 years to approach it's resilience threshold.
(05-15-2023, 08:16 PM)MrWizard Wrote: The amount of ssd usage PCSX2 updates cause is negligible vs SSD resilience. If you're so worried about it... Get CrystalDiskInfo and check what your SSD's lifetime remaining is.

In general, even cheaper ssd write resilience is somewhere around 0.8 of its size times 1000 (3 years) or so. In other words, you'll need to fill & empty your ssd drive in its entirety EVERY DAY for 3 years to approach it's resilience threshold.

I own a SSD which has a max TBW of 60TB. 1.72GB has been written so far... doesn't seem to be much but answer my questions too...

what is the difference between defer updates(Remind me Later) and skip updates ?

How do I know I am running the AVX2 version of PCSX2  ? (by looking at the GUI)
(05-15-2023, 09:05 PM)LegionOfHell Wrote: I own a SSD which has a max TBW of 60TB. 1.72GB has been written so far... doesn't seem to be much but answer my questions too...
you'll be fine. don't be affraid
Quote:what is the difference between defer updates(Remind me Later) and skip updates ?
"defer update" will remind you later to apply it.
"skip" will simply not apply the update and won't remind you

Quote:How do I know I am running the AVX2 version of PCSX2  ? (by looking at the GUI)
you can't.
but anyways, if running latest nightly, that doesn't matter anymore
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
thanks for answers, one more question:

If I accidentally click the "Skip This update" on the update window, Should I reinstall PCSX2 ? or is there a way to install the skipped updates ?
(05-17-2023, 07:22 PM)LegionOfHell Wrote: thanks for answers, one more question:

If I accidentally click the "Skip This update" on the update window, Should I reinstall PCSX2 ? or is there a way to install the skipped updates ?

the skipped one will be installed with the next ones
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go