Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPU Options in PCSX2 - Are they effective?
I asked this in my returning post already but here's the standalone question : Does GPU settings in things such as the NVIDIA control panel make any difference to the PCSX2 emulator, or does PCSX2 pretty much ignore such settings?

If so, are there any warnings to setting GPU settings? For example - would enabling multicore rendering in both NVIDIA and PCSX2 cause an issue? Does Ambient Occlusion even do anything in PS2 games? Do Antialiasing options in the NVIDIA CP take effect in PCSX2?

I included screenshots of my current settings (same as in my first post, maybe slightly higher quality though if that means anything and it doesn't) Note that I have the Antialiasing mode set to "Override any application setting" when running PCSX2, and "Enhance the application setting" when using actual PC games.
  •    
  •    
[Image: signat11.jpg]

My Guide to PCSX2 for Windows (outdated, but still generally accurate)

Sponsored links

As far as I know, AA does affect PCSX2, but nothing else you mentioned.

Quote:would enabling multicore rendering in both NVIDIA and PCSX2 cause an issue?

Multi core rendering in PCSX2, if you mean the additional render threads in GSdx, that only uses your CPU since it's in software mode only, totally ignoring your GPU. Not sure what the nvidia cpanel has about this, but if you mean SLI and such no it will make no difference
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(05-25-2012, 10:11 AM)Bositman Wrote: As far as I know, AA does affect PCSX2, but nothing else you mentioned.

Multi core rendering in PCSX2, if you mean the additional render threads in GSdx, that only uses your CPU since it's in software mode only, totally ignoring your GPU. Not sure what the nvidia cpanel has about this, but if you mean SLI and such no it will make no difference

Threaded Optimization : Allows applications to take advantage of multiple CPUs

I mean the MTVU hack. I use Hardware DX11, so I don't use software mode, right? So therefore there's no point in entering anything in the "Extra Rendering Threads" field of the video plugin, correct? (Using Direct3D11 {hardware} on AVX.)

Don't think it makes any difference but I won't swear on it Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(05-25-2012, 10:16 AM)Bositman Wrote: Don't think it makes any difference but I won't swear on it Tongue

Okay, also, just a quick Q, what's the current "best" plugin to use? AVX? or SSE41 or something? I just saw AVX listed last after all the other plugins in the program log and AVX was the default so I figured it was just the newest and greatest thing or something.

In my opinion, SSE41 is best for use with Hardware renderer...

AVX mainly focuses on software rendering...

Or maybe I'm wrong..Mr.Bositman, please correct me...
(05-25-2012, 10:41 AM)Archerko Wrote: In my opinion, SSE41 is best for use with Hardware renderer...

AVX mainly focuses on software rendering...

Or maybe I'm wrong..Mr.Bositman, please correct me...

I checked the guide and AVX just isn't listed in it, so that's why I'm asking.

Edit : Btw, you're rep point never kicked in! How disappointing D:

(05-25-2012, 10:50 AM)Alexander Moore Wrote: Edit : Btw, you're rep point never kicked in! How disappointing D:

I got this lol:

Quote:You have already given as many reputation ratings as you are allowed to for today.

Be patient...Smile

About the AVX thing, my opinion were based on thread somewhere here but can't remember name
Pretty sure it's this : http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-AVX-plugin

He said that it's not faster, but I wonder...is there any quality difference or new options in AVX?

You guys should add AVX to your guide.

(05-25-2012, 10:14 AM)Alexander Moore Wrote: Threaded Optimization : Allows applications to take advantage of multiple CPUs

I think it's just bad wording.

Quote:Threaded Optimization: Controls the use of multithreaded optimization for all 3D games on systems with multi-core/HyperThreaded CPUs. The available settings are Auto, On and Off. I strongly recommend the default option of Auto, allowing the drivers to set this appropriately for various games based on your hardware. Only turn Off for troubleshooting purposes if you believe a particular (older) game is not compatible with multi-core CPUs, and only set to On if troubleshooting to see if it improves performance in a recent game.

Citation: http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!