GREAT READ:Making developers more productive — the Dolphin development infrastructure
The major need for PCSX2 is new/ rewritten graphics plugin, gsdx is simply abysmal for that much of work made into it.
NEARLY every game have graphical glitches while upscaling, tell me - how ppsspp/dolphin is doing upscaling very good while it gives so many bugs on pcsx2?

Sponsored links

(01-28-2015, 09:40 PM)belmont1990 Wrote: The major need for PCSX2 is new/ rewritten graphics plugin, gsdx is simply abysmal for that much of work made into it.
NEARLY every game have graphical glitches while upscaling, tell me - how ppsspp/dolphin is doing upscaling very good while it gives so many bugs on pcsx2?

Because PS2 graphics are far more complicated than those systems.

The GS does weird things, and we have the vector units computing crazy *****, the half pixel offset, and so on.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
belmont1990:
If someone capable wanted to work on GSdx (or rewrite it), it would be done.
There's just the problem that it's an annoying and huge task. The chip doesn't lean itself well to emulation.
Several GS features have no equivalent on even modern graphic chips and the GS memory layout is weird.
That means a lot of manual work is needed to even get it looking right, no upscaling or any such features considered.
Everyone wants a better GS plugin but GSdx is the best we have and it might stay this way for a while longer.

Regarding the thread topic, I think this is more great stuff from the Dolphin team.
They do a great job over there and I simply don't see PCSX2 competing with that, ever Smile
I think that as long as development is so slow here, we should stick to more essential tasks.
And yes, we realize that a nicer website with cooler features and dev blogs could attract more devs,
but this is just more of the old chicken and egg problem.
(01-27-2015, 06:59 PM)ssakash Wrote: Why not ? Anyways, I'll try to recruit some devs Wink

I hear at least some of it has to do with poor documentation of what some portions of PCSX2's code do. It's hard for them to work on an emulator if they can't understand it even though they do have some experience with reading and writing emulator code.

Part of it may also be that people have the idea that GSDX is basically "Gabest's black box" and that no one else can or should mess with it. And I have no idea; maybe that is indeed true and someone would have to basically start over on a different graphics plugin to make much progress.
(01-28-2015, 10:06 PM)rama Wrote: There's just the problem that it's an annoying and huge task. The chip doesn't lean itself well to emulation.
Several GS features have no equivalent on even modern graphic chips and the GS memory layout is weird.
That means a lot of manual work is needed to even get it looking right, no upscaling or any such features considered.

Hey, I'd read an article about that.
I agree, someone should write an article about how much of a clusterf*** GSdx is. Would be an entertaining read and could potentially attract the interest of some bats*** insane coder out there.
(01-29-2015, 12:45 AM)NarooN Wrote: I agree, someone should write an article about how much of a clusterf*** GSdx is. Would be an entertaining read and could potentially attract the interest of some bats*** insane coder out there.

I sort of meant the gs in general. Maybe I haven't looked in the right places, but it's kinda hard to find information about it.
Yo,

I agree that regular blogs would be nice, even if it's not about current progress but "just" about things which contrast the PS2 from other systems. A certain PCSX2 developer has repeatedly told me that the GS is a very inconventional processor and hence cannot be emulated reasonably via OpenGL and D3D - I'm very much interested in elaborate examples as to why that is specifically.

Furthermore, I'm sure explaining the challenges involved with PS2 emulation will get developers interested, or maybe even get new people onboard Wink
(01-29-2015, 12:48 AM)dogen Wrote: I sort of meant the gs in general. Maybe I haven't looked in the right places, but it's kinda hard to find information about it.

That's what I meant. The GS is inherently a clusterf***, just like almost the rest of the PS2's architecture, so if you'd write about it, you'd invariably have to talk about how it was designed by ancient aliens.
There's actually a document that illustrates GSDX's texture cache that was created by gregory.

It might be something that can be converted into a blog post