GSDX [DQ VIII] - Problems with shadows
I suppose this has been already reported somwhere, that there are problems with shadows between the different versions of GSDX, but to be honest I could not find any exact examples. Also I found a problem that is not resolved in any of the previous GSDX version.

On the first attached picture is a comparision between different GSDX versions that shows that the later versions (0.1.12-14) do not show object shadows at all.
However, there is a bigger issue that for people playing Dragon Quest VIII is basically a show stopper. At some point in the game the Hero is supposed to chase a shadow of a bird, however none of the GSDX versions display the shadow properly on the ground when using HW renderer. The second attached image shows that when using HW renderer in DX10 the actuall "shadow" is a huge field of darkeness. The only workaround at this moment is to use SW renderer (last image), this however makes the game barely playable since you get only 5 FPS and you're supposed to chase a shadow over the world map.

As already said I'm not sure if this has been reported, if yes then I do hope that Gabest is looking into it. Otherwise I hope this post will help others to proceed in this part of the game using the SW renderer.

PS: ZeroGS is a no go for this game. The screen is a big garbage dump.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 3.6GHz | Mainboard: ASUS P5K-E Wi-Fi | RAM: Geil DDR2 Ultra 4 800MHz @ 900MHz 2x1GB |
GFX: GeForce 8800GT | SFX: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium | OS: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit

Sponsored links

for now i don't think there is a way of overcoming that problem besides the software renderer, and most probably gabest already knows about it, the only advice i can give you is try running the game with the latest revision for gsdx, if i'm not mistaken the software renderer is faster is those and maybe you can at least play that part in a more comfortable speed

my own sse4 compiled version in attachment (i hope i'm not infringing any rule, am i?) don't forget to make a copy of your own

Attached Files
.rar   GSdx-SSE4.rar (Size: 334,47 KB / Downloads: 271)
E8400 @ 3.2GHz - 8800 GT @ stock - 4GB DDR2 800 [actual: 3.5GB with PAE] - WinXP PRO 32bit SP3
[Image: 133779.png]
(02-21-2009, 05:00 PM)kebrus Wrote: my own sse4 compiled version in attachment (i hope i'm not infringing any rule, am i?) don't forget to make a copy of your own

Thanks kebrus! With this build using SW renderer and native internal D3D res the FPS jumped up to 25-30.
Out of curiosity, I've checked also the HW renderer and both previously reported issues are still unresolved so after I'm done with this part of the game I'm sticking with 0.1.7, this one at least rendered the shadows on the characters properly Smile
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 3.6GHz | Mainboard: ASUS P5K-E Wi-Fi | RAM: Geil DDR2 Ultra 4 800MHz @ 900MHz 2x1GB |
GFX: GeForce 8800GT | SFX: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium | OS: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit