Resolved: [Bug Report] Allow 8-bit Texture
This bug report is dedicated to GSDX. The Problem is that Enabling Allow 8-bit Texture has some bugs in the Graphics. Avih said that Enabling Allow 8-bit Texture should not modify the output. It may/may not bring Speedups in the Game.

Feel Free to move this Bug Report Tongue2

# Configuration (used throughout)
#CPU : Default, and no other changes
#Plugin : GSDX SSE4.1
   Renderer : DirectX 10
   Windows Resolution : Tested with 1024x768, 1600x900
   Internal Resolution   : The Images are of 3x Native but Tested and confirmed to be bugged at Native, 3x Native and Custom Resolutions of 1400x1400, 1024x1024 etc.
   Texture Filtering : Half State
   Allow 8-bit Texture : see below...
   Hacks : Disabled

# PCSX2 version: PCSX2 SVN r5336 (which was available for download on the buildbot)
# CPU options: Default, No Speedhacks or Gamefixes or Frameskip etc.
# Plugins used: GSDX r5336 0.1.16 SSE41
# Description: See the Comparison Images below.
# Game : Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 NTSC
#Extra Info : You need to zoom it a bit to see the glitch better. The Windows Photo Viewer is just fine enough to do it.

With Allow 8-bit Textures ON

[Image: capturedbz18bit.jpg]

[Image: capturedbz8bitedit.jpg]

With Allow 8-bit Textures OFF

[Image: capturedbz18bitoff.jpg]

[Image: capturedbz8bitoff.jpg]

# PCSX2 version: Official PCSX2 0.9.8
# CPU options: Default, No Speedhacks or Gamefixes or Frameskip etc.
# Plugins used: GSDX r4600 SSE41
# Description: See the Comparison Images below.

With Allow 8-bit Textures ON

[Image: attachment.php?aid=30830]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=30831]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=30832]

With Allow 8-bit Textures OFF

With Allow 8-bit Texture OFF, it is same as the images Above
[Image: recodersignature2.png]

Sponsored links

Well never noticed it before had it pointed, but can confirm that problem;P.

It doesn't happens at all in DX9 through, and I guess allow 8-bit textures works exactly same in dx9 and dx10+(with just name change of the format returned, but that's same thing still), soo maybe it's not a problem of "allow 8-bit textures" at all, but rather something of DX10+ mode doing(or not) with those textures;c.

edit: about it, r4600 looks same as r4922 with that problem for me(and surely no white graphics here, but I used old gsdx over new pcsx2;P), r5133 and above look differently soo something affects it in between, not sure which exactly.
some kind of alpha corruption on square tiles, hmm
With my setup, enabling "Allow 8-bit textures" drops the fps by 6-7 frames (ASUS HD7870 - DX11)
(07-17-2012, 11:07 AM)GeoMan Wrote: With my setup, enabling "Allow 8-bit textures" drops the fps by 6-7 frames (ASUS HD7870 - DX11)

...which is totally irrelevant with this bug report.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I checked some of the builds I had and something affects that bug(in negative way;P ~ makes it more visible) between r5036-5065, from checking older revs it was present from the beginning of allow 8-bit textures option(always only in dx10+).

Edit: seems that more games are affected if not all;P, just an example from Odin's Sphere, check the bottom of "Armageddon" sign:
DX10/11 + allow 8 bit textures:

DX10/11 without 8 bit textures:

DX9 is completely unaffected by the option.

Also I guess r5045 is what making it slightly worser(through that could be subjective observation, let's just say the bug is slightly different after that revision in some cases;]).
Maybe I didn't understand how that option works...give more speed(not always)in exchange of graphic bugs.
If this is not how it's supposed to work,then those problems exist from long time ago.
This bug has always been there for me. I just assumed it was because I'm using ATi.
miseru99: Are you also using an ATI card? I don't get your issues in Odin Sphere at all on my Nvidia.
Oh yeah, so AMD fail again;] hd5670 here on that bug. ;3