Poll: AVX1 64 bits vs AVX1 32 bits
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
slower : - 10%
5.56%
2 5.56%
same : +/- 5%
27.78%
10 27.78%
faster : + 10%
36.11%
13 36.11%
much faster : + 20%
13.89%
5 13.89%
on fire : + 50%
16.67%
6 16.67%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

GS - Software mode: Wanna bet on 64 bits performance
wait, you mean with core interpreter or GSdx alone?

Sponsored links

(11-21-2016, 08:58 PM)gregory Wrote: wait, you mean with core interpreter or GSdx alone?
Core interpreter. The GSDump tool doesn't recognise the x64 plugin yet.
And you have a picture that nice. I wasn't sure that abi will be correct on windows too. It might get a couple of bugs.
Edit: however a benchmark with the core interpreter is a bad idea
(11-21-2016, 09:19 PM)gregory Wrote: And you have a picture that nice. I wasn't sure that abi will be correct on windows too. It might get a couple of bugs.
I didn't see any graphical errors in ICO. But it's hard looking for new bugs when it's running at under 10 FPS.

(11-21-2016, 09:22 PM)gregory Wrote: Edit: however a benchmark with the core interpreter is a bad idea
Only if you start relying on it.
Bug might appears in some special draw call. By the way, did anyone notice a (fog?) issue on AVX2 build ? I think I spot a small typo. The fog parameter is rounded instead of truncated (different will be be small).

It is too slow to measure anything. By the way, maybe you just need to remove a 32 somewhere in gsdump gui to replay dump.

@Ōkami Amaterasu
Code:
Is it considered cheating if I read the github thread beforehand
You lost Tongue2 I found a bug that cripple the perf. It will need more benchmark, but so far we are now around +5% on my sotc dump.
Is it accurate to benchmark a couple of games? I mean maybe you get +5% on SotC and -50% on 1000 other games Tongue (or vice versa of course)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
@Gregory do you need benchmarks? With the coming holiday I'll have some free time and an extensive PS2 collection (mostly RPGs and action/adventure) I don't mind testing some x64 builds to help out my favorite emulation team Laugh
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
@bosit,
Keywords are
Quote:... It will need more benchmark, but so far ...

I'm pretty confident that it will translate to various games. That being said 5% isn't that much. 64 bits is in theory very nice for GSdx. More SSE/AVX registers really help in the various pixel/texel loop. No extra prefix on the opcode (unlike standard instruction), so no extra cost.
Maybe it would need some tuning on all GS memory function. For example instead to loop 2 time on 8XMM register, you could do it without branch. The trick is Win ABI is awful so it could work on Linux but not Windows.

I plan to implement the Vertex Shader on AVX2. Not sure, if I will start the Pixel shader side (much more complex).

@hellbringer616
It is too early for massive benchmark. There is no EE/IOP/VU/VIF recompiler yet so it will be slow. On my side I can use GSdx as a standalone program but it is still quite limited.
@Gregory
Alright, I'll look forward to the day it is ready and I'll dust off my collection.
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64