Poll: What would be the better alternative word to replace the indicated text in the image with ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Internal Resolution (currently)
61.36%
27 61.36%
FSAA
0%
0 0%
Rendering Resolution
38.64%
17 38.64%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

GSDX: change Internal resolution text
Exclamation 
[Image: I3OGlAu.png]

Hello PCSX2 users, currently there's a discussion going on for changing the text "Internal Resolution" in the GSDX plugin settings to something even more accurate (or) suitable.

Relevant Link: https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/803#...-138124743

Since this is a change which will also influence the users usage of the option based on the options name, A poll would be a perfect way to know on what users think about this commit change. you can vote for the option which you consider would make the newbie users easier to understand the function of the option. ( in our case, the upscaling combo box)

If you do have an another word in your mind, make sure that it would not make the users be dubious at the intent of the option's function. All opinions are appreciated, Thanks for your help. Smile
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction

Sponsored links

I believe you should link to the discussion starting with this comment instead, so people get the full context of the conversation:
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/803#...-138124743
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU
Prettifying Tongue
I think the best thing will be to make the languages use external editable files.That way anyone can use whatever name he\she want for any of the options

Internal Resolution or Rendering Resolution or Texture Quality...all of those looks fine to me(especially the last one)
(09-10-2015, 05:09 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: I believe you should link to the discussion starting with this comment instead, so people get the full context of the conversation:
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/803#...-138124743

Thanks, updated. I just copy/pasted what was in my link bar previously.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
FSAA and SSAA will confuse the hell out of most users, also it is not accurate, you don't know the resolution of the users monitor, it might be higher than the IR, so it won't be really an AA, you just made a larger image.

I guess rendering resolution makes the most direct sense, but I'll still vote for internal resolution, since it is both accurate, and people already know what it is, anything else will just needlessly introduce confusion.

Why do you want this changed? I read the pull request thread, but found no real reason.
(09-10-2015, 05:23 PM)K.F Wrote: Why do you want this changed? I read the pull request thread, but found no real reason.

Gregory decided to change it to "FSAA" for Linux , wanted user opinions on the change and also wanted to know what the users preferred.

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/compare/f...054679R279
- Refraction
(09-10-2015, 05:23 PM)K.F Wrote: you don't know the resolution of the users monitor, it might be higher than the IR, so it won't be really an AA, you just made a larger image.

What does the user's monitor resolution have to do with something being AA or not being AA? AA is just techniques for getting rid of aliasing, it has nothing to do with rendering at a higher resolution that the user's monitor, just a higher resolution in general. There's even types of AA (e.g. all of the different post-processing AA types) that don't even render at higher resolutions at all.

(09-10-2015, 05:23 PM)K.F Wrote: I guess rendering resolution makes the most direct sense, but I'll still vote for internal resolution, since it is both accurate, and people already know what it is, anything else will just needlessly introduce confusion.

This.

(09-10-2015, 05:23 PM)K.F Wrote: Why do you want this changed? I read the pull request thread, but found no real reason.

gregory wants it changed. I believe he feels Internal Resolution is not accurately portraying what the feature does.
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
I quite like Rendering Resolution (although a bit of a mouthful) or Internal Resolution is also still fine with me although not completely accurate.

FSAA is just far too confusing as it isn't exactly antialiasing as such, any aliasing it does is just a bi-product.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

How is IR not completely accurate? I'm actually quire curious.

You mean any anti-aliasing? Tongue But I agree, the resolution upscaling/downsampling option shouldn't be called AA, as I think having a separate MSAA and/or SSAA option is beneficial to only having higher and higher upscaling options. For example someone could set 6xIR and still stack 2xMSAA on top of that if they wanted to.

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
(09-10-2015, 05:40 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: How is IR not completely accurate? I'm actually quire curious.

Because internally the height isn't necessarily the same as what the box says, especially if you use custom resolution.  Gregory gave the example of using 1920x1080, what you're actually using is 1920*540.  I'm a little confused myself so I could be wrong on its accuracy Tongue But still,  heck of a lot more accurate than FSAA lol 

(09-10-2015, 05:40 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: You mean any anti-aliasing?

Any antialiasing caused by upscaling yes.  We are not running any algorithm to achieve this effect, like super sampling (which is probably closest to what we do) renders the upscaled version and samples that before downscaling it to restore distant texture like ropes and such which are barely a couple of pixels thick on the larger resolution, i then uses alpha'd textures to create the effect of those ropes being there and looking quite nice even though they technically aren't. I suspect our method won't be so accurate.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]