Poll: What would be the better alternative word to replace the indicated text in the image with ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Internal Resolution (currently)
61.36%
27 61.36%
FSAA
0%
0 0%
Rendering Resolution
38.64%
17 38.64%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

GSDX: change Internal resolution text
When I hear any sort of antialiasing, I assume that the rendered resolution is the same but the pixelation is blurred. And internal resolution is a fairly known term. Any user that knows it's different than window size can figure out what it means.

Sponsored links

Quote:What does the user's monitor resolution have to do with something being AA or not being AA? AA is just techniques for getting rid of aliasing, it has nothing to do with rendering at a higher resolution that the user's monitor, just a higher resolution in general. There's even types of AA (e.g. all of the different post-processing AA types) that don't even render at higher resolutions at all.

You're confusing AA with just rendering at a higher resolution, rendering at a higher resolution is only called SSAA or FSAA when the rendered image is bigger than the screen and scaled back to the monitor's resolution. If the rendered image is smaller than the monitor's resolution, then there will be no AA effect whatsoever, just a bigger image, I'm talking in the case full screen of course.

Quote:FSAA is just far too confusing as it isn't exactly antialiasing as such, any aliasing it does is just a bi-product.

Quote:But I agree, the resolution upscaling/downsampling option shouldn't be called AA,

Quote:When I hear any sort of antialiasing, I assume that the rendered resolution is the same but the pixelation is blurred.

Non-adaptive AA is still AA, as long as it removes aliasing  Tongue

Regardless of how accurate FSAA renaming is, the confusion from it will never be worth it.
Can you guys put the resolution number and a description like "720p" or "1080p" next to various setting like dolphin currently has? I think it would really be useful
CPU: Intel i5-8400 2.8 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming OC (6 GB)
RAM: Ripjaws V Series, 2x8 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360M D3H
Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W
The request was already asked before,

(07-21-2015, 10:41 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: Could you add descriptors to the end of the names, such as "2x scaling (720p)" similar to how Dolphin does it.

(07-21-2015, 11:09 PM)refraction Wrote: Not really cos 2x can be different with different games, some games it will be 640x480 (1280x960) others it might be 512x448 (1024x896) and so forth.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(09-10-2015, 06:29 PM)K.F Wrote: Non-adaptive AA is still AA, as long as it removes aliasing  Tongue

Regardless of how accurate FSAA renaming is, the confusion from it will never be worth it.

That's the thing, no real aliasing goes on, the edges are still pretty much razor sharp, just at a higher resolution Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

I vote for sampling resolution. I think it is the most correct term that is as well easily understandable.

What we do here is super sampling. We sample more samples than on the ps2 and instead of averaging we just display these samples into "additional" pixels.

That's why I would not call it xxAA.
Aliasing appears due to a low-frequency sampling of high-frequency signal. IMHO, we musn't define effect based on a algo implementation. That being said lots of real rendering part deals with aliasing.

The first and more accurate way to reduce aliasing is to increase the sampling frequency. The second way when you can't increase the frequency (because you're limited to your screen or by the raw power) is to interpolate the data (means pixels which blur the edge).

The vertical lines that appear in some games really exist and are corrects. They're high frequency signal that are hidden by aliasing at native rendering.

By the way if you use 3x or more on an hd screen, you will start to get blurry edge.
I like Rendering Resolution.
Internal Resolution is fine.
I vote Rendering Resolution in internal resolution is fine too, what really need to happen though is GSDX window title bar should show the resolution that is being rendered. not the game internal default resolution.