GSDx feature is possible?
(12-05-2010, 04:55 AM)ilovejedd Wrote: You make light of PS3 emulation but in this case, the feature is actually feasible and you're saying it's impossible?

I know what I wrote on the PS2 on PS3 emulation thread. And I was actually talking about shifting the actually rendering of the graphics more or less to the PS3 hardware than anything else there.

Also I know PCs CPUs don't have the power to do really top notch PS2 game graphics with all the effects that are possible.. in software mode alone. There're exceptions tho. But well. It mostly will only work in native resolution. Which isn't really what is talked about since the thread opener is atleast asking for 800x resolution.

So.. Wink

Sponsored links

So... in resuming, its possible, but generally unrecomended.
Still, i think that this feature can be interesting for some games/platforms. Specially if the sw rendering can be addresed in a different core. An i3 or i5 maybe are not enought to handle it, because they only have 2 cores with ht... but an i7 with 4 cores and ht? There are a few i7 platforms out there, with minimun or almost no strong gpus... so those platforms will gone a get a very big improvements.
A few years ago, talking about playing ps2 or any other modern console games in a laptop, was a wet dream for many of us... now it's here... So why not try this graphics improvement? Probably not all games or platforms will gone a work with enought speed... but if only one can work at decent speed and good graphics, i think that it should be available (as long as the programmers can make it happen).
CPU: Ph II 945x4 / Mem: 2x2gb Gskill 5-5-5-15 @800mhz/ Vid: GTS 250 512mb XFX / Mom: EPoX MF570 SLI / OS: Win 7 Ultimate
Notebook: Asus u30jc (i3 350m, 4gb ddr3, geforce 310m)
You should understand even just 2x native resolution would need 4x the CPU power on software, currently i7's barely can barely keep half speed on some games with native Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
True, but we should be getting 8-core CPU's by next year and this is probably one of the few cases where we could just throw more cores at the problem. Laugh Curious, what games are particularly GS-heavy? Unsure
Just test the games you have in GSdx sw mode.
You'll find that most run very slow, some are nearly playable, few are fast.

The idea of scaled software rendering is mostly for future computers anyway Wink
I don't really play PS2 games. Kinda stopped gaming after PS1. PCSX2 is supposed to introduce me to the joys of PS2 games once I get the HTPC set up properly for emulation (7MC+MediaBrowser+GameTime).

I usually just raid my brother's stack for games to test (and he's got a bunch of games just hidden away somewhere). So far, I've only found two games that don't give me fullspeed (or greater) - Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur III. Tekken was running at 40~50 FPS which isn't that bad. Soul Calibur was quite a bit more demanding at 35 FPS. FF X, FF X-2 and FF XII were all pretty easy and bottleneck was easily on the EE (granted, I didn't really go past the opening scenes, after the FMVs).

This is with a Core i7-860 running at stock. SW threads set to 3. I wonder if a Core i7-970 or Core i7-980X would be capable of running both of the problematic games at fullspeed or close to it? Or perhaps this might do the trick? Tongue
ilovejedd, what gpu do you have in that HTPC yours?
I'm prettty sure, that Sw rendering (in a separete thread) is actually possible... and if i'm wrong, it's very near... So why not enabled it now? When this project started, very few computers were fast to run the games at decent speed. So the emulator programmers are usualy thinking in the future... so why not to try this if possible? Maybe, the cpu power is now here. But if no, tomorrow will be... Thats for sure...

PS: The i3 in sw mode is running at almost full speed with 4 threads in SW mode...
CPU: Ph II 945x4 / Mem: 2x2gb Gskill 5-5-5-15 @800mhz/ Vid: GTS 250 512mb XFX / Mom: EPoX MF570 SLI / OS: Win 7 Ultimate
Notebook: Asus u30jc (i3 350m, 4gb ddr3, geforce 310m)
I've actually got a couple builds pending complete set-up. One's a GTS 450. The other's a GT 430.

By the way, multi-threaded software rendering is already an option (D3D Software mode). It's just missing all the post-processing options available in the D3D Hardware mode (basically resolution/scaling controls). For my tests above, I assigned three threads to SW. Tried assigning more but that resulted in lower framerates. PCSX2 does not like HyperThreading.
Software rendering doesn't really lack in scaling support. It's just to render the image in software in a texture backbuffer and scale the thing in hardware. ;P
I can usually get about 200fps on the software renderer, so I'm pretty sure higher resolutions would be great at least for me Wink . I use an Intel Core I7 920 Bloomfield 2.66ghz overclocked at 3.6 ghz, and my RAM runs at 1750mhz.

Please add this at some point! The software renderer has many fewer graphical errors, and would be nice to use if it supported higher resolutions and/or better smoothing options.