GSdx 1.0
(08-18-2015, 01:01 PM)Dant Wrote: It's Gsdx rev. 2015 08 17 113838 from v1.3.1-971-gf9e6a02.

It was after the regression. It might worth to quickly retest your game. Sorry.

Quote: The wrong brightness and/or contrast is fixed by setting Blending Unit Accuracy to Ultra.
It feels related to 16 bits color rounding. It is hard to emulate with 32 bits color. Maybe we can downgrade the RT from 32 bits to 16 bits but I'm not sure that it will fixed the issue neither all the textures impacts.

White line is likely due to bad interpolation/upscaling. It might help if you disable filtering.

Sponsored links

(08-18-2015, 02:36 PM)gregory Wrote: It was after the regression. It might worth to quickly retest your game. Sorry.

Well, this morning it was the latest one on the buildbot page. Now it has v1.3.1-976-ga4f8c6d as the latest one, will that do?

(08-18-2015, 02:36 PM)gregory Wrote: It feels related to 16 bits color rounding. It is hard to emulate with 32 bits color. Maybe we can downgrade the RT from 32 bits to 16 bits but I'm not sure that it will fixed the issue neither all the textures impacts.

Well, it's not really an issue, not in this game at least, but even in others it's hardly noticeable. Actually, Shade boost could compensate it so it's not really worth it. I could stop reporting it as a bug, I thought that maybe you aimed for a 100% accuracy in HW mode.

(08-18-2015, 02:36 PM)gregory Wrote: White line is likely due to bad interpolation/upscaling. It might help if you disable filtering.
Oh, yeah, you are right, I switched texture filtering to fill (instead of checked) and the outlines have gone. Though they are still present when I use non-native resolutions. Then, it seems, the game is perfect in native mode. Great. Nice job, Gregory.
(08-18-2015, 03:03 PM)Dant Wrote: Well, this morning it was the latest one on the buildbot page. Now it has v1.3.1-976-ga4f8c6d as the latest one, will that do?

That build is after the regression fix, so yes Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Yes, the latest revision sorted all the problems in Silent Hill 2. Moreover, I found, that it was the forced texture filtering that made the loading and pause screens "slide". So, except for misaligned FMVs, this game works perfectly in native resolution and in HW mode. With upscaling the FMVs become broken. Silent Hill Origins now also has its lightspot back, but it's still broken, as are shadows and textures.

But Silent Hill 4, OH, GOD!

Silent Hill 4

Realtime shadows and selfshadowing are finally working. You need to check OGL Depth option and switch Blending Unit Accuracy to None, otherwise shadows will be broken. In non-native modes shadows become misaligned, but setting TC Offset X and Y to 500 fixes them.

There's still one bug: a white transparent square in front of the player in some locations. It is fixable in DX11, you need to check Alpha in HW hacks, but in OGL it doesn't work. Also, maybe it is related, but when you are in your otherworld apartments at the beginning, the fog has some banding artifacts, it could probably be that transparent white square (and no, I checked the filtering).

But whatever, it's almost perfect now, one could play the best version of SH4 in Full HD.

Congrats, Gregory, you nailed another longstanding bug!

Update: GS dumps with the white transparent square bug.

I've included two GS dumps, one was taken at the otherworld apartments, and the other - during the regular third person gameplay. I don't know whether these two bug are related or not. I think it's an alpha/stencil texture that fakes self shadowing. In DX9 it is black actually, and when it wraps around the character, it looks like a shadow.
Quote:There's still one bug: a white transparent square in front of the player in some locations. It is fixable in DX11, you need to check Alpha in HW hacks, but in OGL it doesn't work. Also, maybe it is related, but when you are in your otherworld apartments at the beginning, the fog has some banding artifacts, it could probably be that transparent white square (and no, I checked the filtering).
I think that I remove this hack. I would like a gs dump for the white transparent issue.

However that strange that setting blending unit to none is better. They're clearly several issues.
(08-18-2015, 05:30 PM)gregory Wrote: I think that I remove this hack. I would like a gs dump for the white transparent issue.

However that strange that setting blending unit to none is better. They're clearly several issues.

Okay, I'm uploading it. I will update my previous post.

Done.
(08-18-2015, 05:13 PM)Dant Wrote: Realtime shadows and selfshadowing are finally working. 

Actually, the shadows seems a bit pale compared to original:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/3...24-768.jpg

Checked few screenshots and all feature more contrast shadows.
Also, monsters drop them too, on your screenshot I can't see if they do.
(08-18-2015, 07:31 PM)Kein Wrote: Actually, the shadows seems a bit pale compared to original:

Also, monsters drop them too, on your screenshot I can't see if they do.

I think it depends where you are, i can find screenshots where the shadows are really black, so it probably depends on the illumination on the scene
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

May be.
I decided to mention it because similar issue was with Castlevania LoI before gregory fully implemented some stuff.
(08-18-2015, 07:31 PM)Kein Wrote: Actually, the shadows seems a bit pale compared to original:

Why are you comparing the PC version with the PS2 one? That screenshot has certainly been taken from the PC version, since it is clearly in high resolution. Moreover, even those screens that are allegedly taken from the PS2 version could actually be the prerelease screenshots.

You could actually find the user submitted PS2 screens on that site, but one should remember, that majority of them are taken through DVD recorders. Obviously, they are compressed as hell, have some channel information lost, plus they usually have the wrong black levels, which give higher contrast and crushed blacks. Besides, it just occurred to me, many games have their own brightness settings, so who knows, whether a user has changed it or not.

So, you should either compare HW mode to SW (even though it could itself be flawed), or you should capture the PS2 footage using a proper capture capture card. Digital Foundry are using the BC compatible PS3, since it could output PS2 games in progressive scan through HDMI. But even this method is not 100% accurate, because PS3 emulates some parts of PS2 (EE, if I'm not mistaken).

Maybe there are some homebrews that allow to capture screenshots or to dump the framebuffer on an actual PS2, I don't know.

(08-18-2015, 07:31 PM)Kein Wrote: Also, monsters drop them too, on your screenshot I can't see if they do.

That snap has no monsters in it Biggrin  Unless you consider that girl a monster...  Laugh Anyway, everything cast shadows, including monsters. If something hadn't, I would have mentioned it.