GSdx can't handle this issue?
Hi folks, for those of you who have played earlier PS2 games with 2D background + 3D models (for example, onimusha 1, 2 etc), i think most of you noticed that in GSdx HW mode, the 3D object is always drawn in front of 2D background. (the SW mode is correct). I can't help wondering if this is a limit of underlying DirectX API? and what's the difference between HW and SW rendering mode? why can SW mode correctly handle the Z-buffer but HW mode can't? any insights guys?

Sponsored links

By using a software renderer GSdx is doing all the rendering which brings the max compatibility but lowest speeds usually because it uses the CPU entirely, using hardware acceleration to take advantage of your card brings the limit of the DX API which is used to do the rendering as you mentioned already and is easy to see with the difference between hardware modes compatibility (D3D9 vs D3D10).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(03-11-2010, 06:12 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: By using a software renderer GSdx is doing all the rendering which brings the max compatibility but lowest speeds usually because it uses the CPU entirely, using hardware acceleration to take advantage of your card brings the limit of the DX API which is used to do the rendering as you mentioned already and is easy to see with the difference between hardware modes compatibility (D3D9 vs D3D10).

thx for the response. SL.
so do u think w/ DX10 API the above mentioned issue can be solved in HW mode or not? sounds like not very feasible...
so guess better use SW w/ those older games.. any tips on how to make SW rendering look better?

thanks for your time...
No idea really, I don't have the game myself however DX10 renderer is known for having better compatibility compared to DX9 most of the time. The Software renderer in order to keep the highest compatibility also keeps as close to the original which means the not so high quality, maybe if somehow it became much faster the devs would add some quality options for it but I don't see that happening anytime soon Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64