GSdx: native resolution
(01-01-2009, 07:26 PM)ottoman Wrote:
(12-31-2008, 12:23 AM)Jlagreen Wrote: So now I want to increase graphics quality a little more but I don't have a clue to what I should increase...

then i would recommend to use anti aliasing. there is a guide in the old forums, but maybe i can sum it up:
  • only works with nvidia cards PS Right I have a feeling there is a way to make it work with ATIs too. Also DX9 only as others said...
  • maybe only possible with xp, i don't know about vista PS RightShould work on vista with DX9. XP's DX9 is exactly same that vista uses after all
  • you have to use nhancer (tuning utility for nv cards)
  • make a new profile for pcsx2 and add the exe file (have to do this every time you update pcsx2 because then the exe changes) PS Right As far as I know nhancer checks .exe filename so unles you keep renaming your exe wit every revision old profile should work just fine. Also it is possible to add new exe to old profile if you decide to change filename. No need to create new profile Tongue
  • enable aa and be sure to use the compability mode for stalker or vanguard
  • works only in fullscreen and when the internal resolution equals the resolution of your monitor

on my 24" tft, using 4x aa looks way better than internal resolutions like 4096x4096. i will put a link to the original guide here (which has screenshots too), when i can find it.

Sponsored links

yeah, nhancer only checks the exe name. but i use the compiled svn stuff from re4rainbow, so this changes every time Smile

btw here is the thread i mentioned: http://forums.ngemu.com/pcsx2-forum/1051...pcsx2.html

(01-01-2009, 07:41 PM)Jlagreen Wrote: Maybe it works with DX9 but consider that AA only helps the edges while prerendering in high resolution improves overall image quality a lot.

sorry but i can't confirm this. just tested it myself and made a few screenshots:

(internal) resolution = 1920x1200
[Image: 75741_1920x1200.png]

resolution = 1920x1200, internal resolution = 4096x4096
[Image: 77752_4096x4096.png]

(internal) resolution = 1920x1200, 4x aa
[Image: 65923_1920x1200-4x-aa.png]

(rapidshare link, if the image hosting site is too slow: http://rapidshare.com/files/178912280/sc...s.zip.html )

imho, the last one looks best. although the textures far away are a little bit sharper in the second picture.
i also did a test with 32xS, that's 2x2 supersampling (meaning a resolution of 3840x2400) and an additional 8x multisampling anti aliasing! but it just looked like the one with 4x aa and made the fps drop from 106 to 41.

bottom line: try to use 4x aa if you can, it's great Smile
Ok, I tested and I can use 4xAA with nHancer but I won't. Simply because I don't like DX9 for not being able to easily switch between Fullscreen and Window. I do this often and therefore I prefere DX10. In DX10 forcing AA won't work but this is common also in PC Games.
Besides forcing 4xAA is also applied in scenes where CPU is rendering (like in FFXII Gilgamesh fight) so it slows down the scene as well. I hoped it wouldn't but while being able to play most of FFXII in 1920x1200 4xAA with 100+ FPS, the FPS drop to 39 during the Gilgamesh battle. My 4.4Ghz C2D is too slow for this scene in this setting...
ottoman you must have i great eyes even when enlarging the pics the only diference a can see is that in 2ºpic all things seem to be at a higher place.
C2D E6550 @ 2333 Mhz oc 3010 Mhz vcore 1.2750v | HD2600XT | P5KC | 1 + 1 GB G.Skill 6400HK 860 4.4.3.5
The only really noticeable difference are the edges of that sword, and it's really not a major improvement or anything
I hardly see any differences at all...

Seems like a lot of work for very little, and a lot of lost frames.
well you are right, there is not much of a difference. you have to compare the screenshots in a program like acdsee or irfanview to see it. but in my eyes, anti aliasing (= smoothing the edges) is responsible for the most notable visual improvements during gameplay. and like other computer games, you can't really see that with the help of a screenshot, you have to see it in a moving scene. the graphics look much more "smooth" and less "jagged".
of course this depends on the game and scene. but the intro of ffx is quite a good example of this and it shows, that 4x aa looks better than higher internal resolution (at least for me) and still has good performance.
Yeah, an anti-aliased picture is less strain on the eyes, that's what people mean with "it looks smoother" Tongue2
It's still a shame that it only works in dx9 mode, and that it's too difficult to activate :/
Yeah, Anti-aliasing really beauties and softens up the picture; I just don't see that happening quite so much here.

Of course, I don't have a rig nearly good enough to run at such resolutions so I really don't have a first hand view of it.

Still, it seems more "reliable" in modern PC games then it does in PCSX2...

Though, it definitely made KH look better when I was using Zero's graphics plugin. Made 2x and 4x look delicious (Though slower), and everything above seemed to change very little.
that's simple because PS2 games don't have 3D engines like modern PC games where you can see differences between 4xMSAA and 8xMSAA and Supersampling. In PS2 games more than 4xMSAA has obviously no effect for the player though it still is applied of course Wink.

Anyway setting 2720x1700 internal resolution I get basically 1920x1200 2xAA and this is my prefered gaming setting also in PC games. I am not an AA-freak I only need a little edge smoothing Smile.