Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gabe Newell "Windows 8 is a ‘Catastrophe’"
Quote:The head of Valve says his company is working to develop for Linux, calling Microsoft's Windows 8 a "catastrophe" that will lead product manufacturers to abandon the platform.

At a gaming event in Seattle last night, as reported by AllThingsD, Valve CEO Gabe Newell said the one thing holding back Linux is video game support.

http://kotaku.com/5929067/gabe-newell-wa...atastrophe

Sponsored links

I guess I will be sticking with Windows 7

EDIT: in all honesty whats wrong with Windows 7? all and all (for me any way) everything works fine - my performance is great and I really could not ask for more... so why would any one want Windows 8 to begin with?
I must say I agree. I tried Windows 8 Release Preview and it was horrible. No Start Menu, No Desktop, No easily accessible Control Panel, No Programs Menu ( at least I couldn't find it). NO Shutdown Button (alright I admit there is one, but it took me forever to find it). The whole OS has been so dumbed down that a monkey can use it for playing around but not for any serious work, school, or even gaming.

I know it's meant for tablets but there should be a professional version as well (that has all the things I mentioned) and should be like windows 7 in every way with a sleeker interface and Windows 8 boot up times (10 seconds with my SSD, as compared to 15 seconds on Windows 7). Then it would be worth it, especially if you could switch back and forth between "Simple" and "Advanced" mode. Simple is the way Windows 8 is now, and Advanced is exactly the same as Windows 7 (with a Desktop, Start Menu, etc.) Only then would I even consider upgrading to Windows 8.
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU
If Micro$hit did not develop Windows 8, how the hell do they get $$$?

I'm tired of the their "faster" motto. Not a single FPS increase to be sure. Basically you pay ~$200 for a course just to learn how to open Control Panel, how to shutdown Windows... etc.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
(07-25-2012, 11:54 PM)YumiLovesMe Wrote: I guess I will be sticking with Windows 7

EDIT: in all honesty whats wrong with Windows 7? all and all (for me any way) everything works fine - my performance is great and I really could not ask for more... so why would any one want Windows 8 to begin with?

actually who will pay Microsoft bills seriously if you kept using 7 the company will broke Tongue
^They still make plenty of money from the Xbox 360 and continue to. It is not like they would go broke if they did not make a new OS lol.
The worst part about Windows 8 is the fact that Microsoft will make deals with company's to release Windows 8 only Games and software, eventually forcing you to upgrade, plain Evil
ROG Asus G74S laptop
Intel core i7 2670QM @2.2(3.1ghz turbo) Nvidia 3gig GTX560m 8 gigs DDr5 Blue-Ray Burner windows7 64 bit
[Image: r1gyld.jpg]
^ Because exactly the same things happen with vista and XP. Oh wait.
at least the new windows doesn't have something big when it comes to gaming ( e.g DX12 )

like with Vista and XP ( DX 10 )
You can change to it just like windows 7, but that is emulated so its not the same.

Microsoft Is going to have another useless OS just like Vista and windows Millenium edition.

they always come up with one good OS and then splash the next, ME sucked then Xp came out and rocked. Then Vista was supposed to succeed XP But Ended up failing and becoming another ME.

Windows 7 is everything I hope for in a Regular OS. Touch screens are cool but touch screens would alter the gaming indusry as a whole on computer game markets because consoles can't all support touch screen gaming.
I think they should make it so windows 8 is like 7 but the Touch screen stuff is emulated instead of the other way around.
[Image: 66xk69.jpeg]