Game fast, in-game movies + FMVs slow in FFXII
Hi all,

I've installed PCSX 0.9.6. It installed great, so thanks for a fantastic piece of software.

I'm trying to play FFXII on a fairly beefy machine. The game works fine (60FPS), but the in-game movies and some FMVs run really slowly. It says 20FPS in the titlebar, but it feels much worse than that. The worst thing is that the videos play slower than the sound, so it's all out of sync and there are big gaps in audio in between each bit of the movie.
My machine is an Intel Core2 Duo (E4600, 2.40GZ x 2) and I have 4 gigs of RAM. I'm running 64-bit Windows Vista.
I'm using ZeroGS SSE2 + Direct3D 10 for graphics.

Any suggestions for how to improve performance in the movies?

Thanks,
T.

Sponsored links

Use gsdx plugin instead, it's much better than zerogs.
Yes, switch to GSDx SSSE3 plugin and run in DirectX 10 hardware mode.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
Firstly, thanks for the very quick responses.
Sorry about that, that was the one I was using! I got confused because I tried ZeroGS but the graphics quality was unacceptable. If I'm not mistaken the problem was still the same.
To avoid further mistakes on my part, here is a screenshot of my CPU, Graphics, Sound, and Speedhacks configs. If there's any more that I can provide you with then please tell me.

Regards,
T.

Edit: changed to not direct linking to the image
(05-04-2009, 10:40 PM)TJWWright Wrote: Firstly, thanks for the very quick responses.
Sorry about that, that was the one I was using! I got confused because I tried ZeroGS but the graphics quality was unacceptable. If I'm not mistaken the problem was still the same.
To avoid further mistakes on my part, here is a screenshot of my CPU, Graphics, Sound, and Speedhacks configs. If there's any more that I can provide you with then please tell me.

Regards,
T.
Change http://imagebin.ca/img/JdAF3dw.png to http://imagebin.ca/img/JdAF3dw.html, direct linking is forbidden on imagebin.ca.

Anyway, try the following:

- check native in gsdx
- check nloop hack on grey (ie. autochoose, not a big deal, but having it on all the time might be bad)
- use spu2-x with default options (xaudio is a bit faster)
- try different EE cycle hacks and disable INTC (sometimes, if there's too much hacking, the game actually slows down instead of going faster)
- last - try newer builds of pcsx2 (google them) and fiddle with cycle stealing (a new hack). I heard it works well with FFXII.
Split your lungs with blood and thunder when you see the white whale.
(05-04-2009, 11:46 PM)idn Wrote:
(05-04-2009, 10:40 PM)TJWWright Wrote: Firstly, thanks for the very quick responses.

Regards,
T.
Change http://imagebin.ca/img/JdAF3dw.png to http://imagebin.ca/img/JdAF3dw.html, direct linking is forbidden on imagebin.ca.

Anyway, try the following:

- check native in gsdx
- check nloop hack on grey (ie. autochoose, not a big deal, but having it on all the time might be bad)
- use spu2-x with default options (xaudio is a bit faster)
- try different EE cycle hacks and disable INTC (sometimes, if there's too much hacking, the game actually slows down instead of going faster)
- last - try newer builds of pcsx2 (google them) and fiddle with cycle stealing (a new hack). I heard it works well with FFXII.

Ha I gotta try that. This was also an issue for me, but I just lived with it.

IMO PEOPs sounded better ingame, but the FMVs were all messed up (like what TJWWright said). SPU2-X fixes the FMV sounds, but is sometimes bad ingame for my system. Not really sure, both have their ups and downs. Just keep fiddling around until you're comfortable or another SVN is released (or you can compile your own doesn't matter).