Games just...don't look too good?
I'm not certain if this is a problem with the settings I have or if it just ought to be expected of PS2 emulation, but the several games I've tried have just looked generally unpleasant. Grainier than I'd expect, appearing worse than if I were to play them on an old television, etc.

When setting up PCSX2 I used the FAQ's recommended configurations for all the plugins, and set the resolution to be 3x Native. Most games I've tried run at a pretty steady 60 FPS, but just look blurry and grainy to where it makes my eyes sore to play for long. Are there some settings I ought to adjust, is this the current state of emulation, or is it simply because when playing PS2 I was used to being at a distance from a TV (as opposed to relatively close to a computer monitor)?

Sponsored links

You can try some interlacing. Use F5 to toggle through them and set it manually in the gsdx settings if you find a good one. It can help clean things up. But yes generally speaking the game isn't going to appear as good as it seemed on the tv.
Use the texture filtering, and the GSDX Hacks. They should as on many games correct some graphics problems.
Also, which games are you trying to play.
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
(09-18-2011, 09:52 AM)recoder Wrote: Use the texture filtering, and the GSDX Hacks. They should as on many games correct some graphics problems.
Also, which games are you trying to play.

I'll give that a shot! The games I was attempting to play were Suikoden V, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and Tales of the Abyss. All of these from DVD.
For grainy effect can be fixed with texture filtering at half is recomanded. best gsdx for TOA so far i know is gsdx r.2460 or around of that and some gsdx hack shadeboost is worth to try, especially for fixed ghosting effect or give better image.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
You should start by comparing your output to what you get with native res. Then I'm sure you'll notice the difference...
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(09-18-2011, 08:40 AM)Verily Wrote: I'm not certain if this is a problem with the settings I have or if it just ought to be expected of PS2 emulation, but the several games I've tried have just looked generally unpleasant. Grainier than I'd expect, appearing worse than if I were to play them on an old television, etc.

When setting up PCSX2 I used the FAQ's recommended configurations for all the plugins, and set the resolution to be 3x Native. Most games I've tried run at a pretty steady 60 FPS, but just look blurry and grainy to where it makes my eyes sore to play for long. Are there some settings I ought to adjust, is this the current state of emulation, or is it simply because when playing PS2 I was used to being at a distance from a TV (as opposed to relatively close to a computer monitor)?
Add Blend Bff, Allow 8-Bit textures, D3D enhancements and Texture Filtering on (Click Two Times) That should do it. Happy

try this

1.change to direct X 9 hardware
2. use speed hack 1-EE 0-vu
3.tick 8bit texture
4.tick texture filter
5. tick vsync
6. tick loop thing in speedhack

see it help or not
hell321: Can you stop posting exactly the same thing in every help thread, its getting a little teadious.

The only decent part of your advice (the texture filter etc) was already given in the post above, so it was pointless you reposting it. But the speedhacks were completely irrelivant, as was changing the rendered to dx9 (which is more unproductive than anything else)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

not to mention 8bit usually rapes your gpu Tongue2