Games ran good speed prior to gfx card update. Slower since (in .hack GU 3)
Answers to your clock speed question in the edited above post.
Old habits die hard - System Shock

Sponsored links

OMG idle state>.< Well at least it's clear now that it underclocks for gsdx, maybe even my made up story which tries to explain it is true. If you want to keep this gpu and still enjoy pcsx2 you'll have to force high/default clocks killing the power saving feature in the process. I guess just rising or maybe even decreasing the clocks by small amount(5mhz enough;P) in CCC overdrive would lock your gpu at that frequencies, unless I'm wrong I guess leaving default value like you have there now doesn't really activate amd overdrive. But turning it completely off isn't really nice and switching through CCC will be bothersome soo you could try other software to change your clocks. MSI Afterburner works nice with profiles and hotkeys I use it mainly to underclock, but it kills the automatic power state in the process and can quickly restore default clocks which also restores all those power states, there was also AMD GPU Clock Tool, but I think it's heavilly outdated and will probably not work with this gpu, from last driver update it even stopped working with my old hd5670:].
So basically its assuming that I'm watching a video or something and so never raising the HZ for very long?

Not faulty then, just annoying.
Is it possible to set your card to a constant "Max performance/high performance" mode ?

i always make sure to do that with my GTX460 or else things start to happen.
I'll give MSI afterburner a go. And post if it makes a difference.

So I should set it to the default clock speed of 900MHZ rather than letting it sit in its idle state of 300 MHZ?

Checking since I'm learning about this whole thing as I go.

Thank you to all of those who have helped me so far. Been greatly appreciated.
don't use afterburner, use nvidia inspector
Except that I use a radeon card.

Anyways I tried using MSI Afterburner and got the following setup:

[Image: 14mwbk9.png]

And still the same thing occured. Shame there's no HD7950 users here watching this thread. The drops in clock speed happened when I went to new locations.

But as I stated above I set it to 900MHZ for the Core Clock and 1250 for the memory clock. I tried upping the Core clock to 1000 and no change.
Double post:

Well after some extensive testing I've FINALLY fixed the issue (I think). After testing a few different clock speeds for both the core and memory clocks (most of which resulted in freezes which required me to reset my PC. Temperatures of the card never exceeded 55 degrees Celsius throughout) I believe I have found the right mix of values to resolve the issue.

Previously I had only been increasing the core clock values and was still encountering the issue of slow down after 5-8 minutes. This time round I tried changing the memory clock value slightly which completely resolved the issue (though as I said gave me freezes on the first 2 values I tried with it). The following values have given me good results so far:

Core Clock (MHZ): 1001, Memory Clock (MHZ): 1307

Now whilst I never got a consistent 60 fps in all areas (I assume I'd need to increase the core clock speed for that?), I was getting the same speeds in the same locations in the game no matter how long I stayed there. Which at the end of the day is something I can tolerate as I can finally play games again. If anyone with a Radeon 7950 attempts to use pcsx2 and runs into similar issues to what I have been through, I'd recommend that you try using these values.

If I run into any freezes with these values (I'm using MSI Afterburner to apply them) I'll update this post with more refined values.

Thanks to all, for all of your assistance. Without your help I would never have figured this all out, and become alittle bit less clueless about overclocking. Thank you.
congrats, glad to hear you finally got it working.
although the solution still mysterious to me.
i have been using Afterburner to OC and manually control the fan speed too but ram clock doesn't post any problem to me even mine is nVidia, strange,really
Agreed. I still think something fishy is going on, but with the only problem being in pcsx2 and all my PC games running 100% perfect since day 1 I'm going to have to give it the benefit of the doubt.