General performance question
Maybe this is a dumb question but....

Most games run smooth for me at 60fps at native resolution. If I up it to 4x native resolution (which looks really nice) my performance chugs a bit (like about 30-ish fps). However when I look at windows task manager, my CPU usage is really low. Is my graphics card the bottlneck here?

I have a Core i7 3.2 Ghz and an Nvidia GTX 275. I'm using 0.9.8 and the GsDX DX10 SSE4 plugin.

Sponsored links

Yes, it's your GPU.

If upping the res brings your FPS down, that's the limits of your GPU showing.
Just choose something in between, I play mostly with 3x but some games need me to use 2x or even native Tongue2.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Also, note that x4 resolution is per axis (e.g. from 512x512 to 2048x2048) , so it's actually x16 pixels, and that uses much more resources.
Basically, the processing power from native to x4 native increases dramatically. Even with my GTX560 Ti the most I can set for my FF12 is x4 or x5-ish(haven't really tested properly) to run the whole game smoothly(no major fps dips and the likes)
(05-21-2011, 02:22 AM)avih Wrote: Also, note that x4 resolution is per axis (e.g. from 512x512 to 2048x2048) , so it's actually x16 pixels, and that uses much more resources.

Now that's putting it in perspective. Smile

Native = almost 300,000 pixels
4x Native = over 4,000,000 pixels

That's not asking a lot, right? Laugh
my 275 can run 6x scale in FF12 just fine D:
Now we know OP wasn't playing FF12. Laugh

If this doesn't make it obvious, potential resolution does vary between games.
Let's not forget the internal resolution is not the same as the external, so it impacts the whole graphics system too, probably from the VUs to GIF passing by the GS itself and Mainly the DMA. I could bet some overhead on CPU too, not too much money but... Someday I may feel strong enough to look into the actual code without being caught by it.
Imagination is where we are truly real
native x2 is usually enough, gives really nice result. If you put x3 and x4 you're really are pushing up to unneeded huge resolutions.