Getting PCSX2 to render messages to the graphical output
(03-30-2014, 02:13 PM)avih Wrote: Considering that OSD is not used frequently
Hum, that depends, for example if you put the current fps, it would be displayed every frame. Otherwise I agree with you. Besides it not difficult to implement (if we limit to standard char).

Sponsored links

The main uses would be:
- savestate slot
- savestate load / save message
- error messages
- all the GSdx messages!
- (preview image for savestates, more involved, i know Tongue )
Error messages could be irritating on screen, lets just keep them in the console and just show setting changes and savestate stuff on screen. Maybe resolution changes too (along with the upscaled res)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

The most important stuff to display IMO is savestate slots change, and some messages (e.g. save completed ok, changing shader, aspect ratio after change, etc).

Displaying FPS in a small font at a corner would definitely be nice too, but this is more of a debug feature (or ego feature, if your ego depends on the FPS you can make your system produce).

Normally, when actually playing, there shouldn't be any OSD. OSD is most important for info/feedback/status after changing stuff and maybe also other important messages which the user can make use of.
Agreed, so this is the new list so far:

PCSX2 messages:
- savestate slot changes
- savestate load/save okay/failed messages
- aspect ratio changes

GSdx messages:
- shader change
- (FPS counter)
Probably limiter info too after changing it, and maybe frame skipping. Though I'm sure than once we have such system in place, we could just easily duplicate some of the console messages to the OSD, and we could modify it along the way until we like it.

The main point is that when playing normally, usually there isn't any OSD, and if it has a performance cost, it's probably worth it.
I push a dev branch that add the drawing of text (opengl) on the screen. It is fairly basic for the moment but a good start in my opinion.

On windows, you need to change the path of the font, and to compile the new cpp file.
(03-31-2014, 10:47 PM)rama Wrote: Agreed, so this is the new list so far:

PCSX2 messages:
- savestate slot changes
- savestate load/save okay/failed messages
- aspect ratio changes

GSdx messages:
- shader change
- (FPS counter)
Any news about this?
As long as there is an option to turn messages off.
Model: Clevo P570WM Laptop
GPU: GeForce GTX 980M ~8GB GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X CPU +4.2GHz (12 CPUs)
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3L 1600MHz, 4x8gb
(03-29-2014, 01:38 PM)gregory Wrote: What do you mean by standard way?

A meant it like a "plugin interface extension" as opposed to "gsdx-only feature". You know, like how there's GPUget/setScreenPic for PSX savestates.
[Image: nbKSK.jpg]