Getting an iMac Desktop
(09-08-2011, 12:39 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Try to find out if the new ones have sandy bridge CPUs... I guess an i5 sandy bridge 2.8GHz would be fine...

I think the new ones do have Sandy Bridge CPU's, along with Thunderbolt and some other stuff. But would 2.7GHz do? I kinda want a big screen iMac.

Sponsored links

i like it when people buy toys to run serious emulation on.

seriously, Apple is the worst decision if atleast 30% of your intent is running PCSX2.
(09-08-2011, 01:31 PM)PS2Gamer24 Wrote: I think the new ones do have Sandy Bridge CPU's, along with Thunderbolt and some other stuff. But would 2.7GHz do? I kinda want a big screen iMac.

That would be more than enough. I only have a 13" macbook pro with intel hd 3000 graphics(sucky) and a mobile 2.3Ghz i5 sandy bridge. I can run KHII at full speed even during the cutscenes at 45-60 fps with 4x AA. Sure, some games require more power, but I haven't run into any problems yet.

The new iMacs have superior graphics cards, and faster quad-core processing (with a 2.7 quad core, each core is faster than my 2.3Ghz dual core).

Also, keep in mind the new intel sandy bridge processors have "Turbo Boost" technology (terrible name by the way) that automatically speeds up the processors. With my 2.3 Ghz I can actually run up to 2.9 GHz with processor-intensive applications. With your 2.7 quad-core I believe you can reach speeds up to 3.7 GHz, which is more than enough.

Having OS X Lion improves performance with games too, and the new iMacs come with Lion preinstalled.

And if you've owned a mac before, you know why they're worth the price.

Hope that helps.

13" MacBook Pro (March 2011)
Display: 1280x800
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz w/ 2.9 GHz Turbo Boost
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
Quote:And if you've owned a mac before, you know why they're worth the price.

Because of mental illness.
it's not the OS's fault. Mac isn't all that bad an OS, it's simply the limitation of selection of hardware. if you're gonna buy an iMac (like I have)--don't. buy the tower. because, if you don't buy the tower (g4 or 5 or whatever), you cannot, repeat, cannot swap in/out new hardware, like video cards, chipsets, etc; the only one thing you CAN upgrade is the RAM. i really suggest buying the tower with custom hardware inside, then it'll run perfectly fine and you won't have to worry about not playing games in 5 years cuz you have an oversized, underpowered paperweight. truly mac is a good OS, it's just the marketing/fiscal monster behind its motives loves to roar and scream in your face--all the way to the bank. if you do buy a tower, make sure to get good system specs.
Why us a MAC when Windows has a Software Library 1000x that of Mac
(09-09-2011, 10:09 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: Because of mental illness.

Stop trolling the mac forums. This mac section is obviously for mac users, so posting inflammatory comments like that illogical mess is a waste of everybody's time.

I've used macintosh computers for the past 8 years, so I'm not a mac "bandwagoneer", There are many LOGICAL reasons people are willing to spend more on macs, for instance reliability, out-of-the-box creativity, structural stability, ease of use, not worrying about viruses, customer support, OS X, etc, etc.

PC's do work better for gaming and emulation, so if you buy something strictly for gaming you should buy a pc and do nothing else with it. Windows 7 has finally almost caught up to mac os x feature-wise, but when all computing features are taken into account, macs are still worth the price and always will be.

Please stop wasting my time.
That wasn't trolling, it was a clinically reproduced observation.

Mac Fans suffer mental illness, this has been identified in the brain scans of apple cultists as a form of social brainwashing commonly found in religious fanatics and cultists.

i'll quote myself

Quote:i like it when people buy fruity toys to run serious emulation on.

seriously, Apple is the worst decision if atleast 30% of your intent is running PCSX2.
(09-10-2011, 01:12 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: That wasn't trolling, it was a clinically reproduced observation.

Mac Fans suffer mental illness, this has been identified in the brain scans of apple cultists as a form of social brainwashing commonly found in religious fanatics and cultists.

i'll quote myself

From what exact clinical study? Performed by what accredited institution?

You have failed to logically refute my specific claims, and you have provided no logical proven evidence to support your claim, therefore I win the argument.

By the way:
Troll: someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the intent of disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

You have dectracted the subject from the original post, and therefore have trolled the forum.

I almost think you're enjoying this... no?
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-19/tech/..._s=PM:TECH