Ghosting/Double Image/Motion Blur
Hi there,
I have searched a bit (on google and the forums) regarding this issue and it seems some people too have this problem: Whenever I move in most games I play on pcsx2 I tend to see a double image of sorts which is actually starting to make me a bit dizzy ^^.

I just wanted to start playing Persona 4 when I remembered that I had this issue earlier on other games but was to lazy to do anything about it. The common solution to this is apparently setting the internal resolution in the GS plugin to native so I thought I'd change it to that but unfortunately that didn't solve my problem Wacko (here is a screenshot on native internal resolution and here is one on 6x native, in my case this effect can just be duplicated by going into the game and e.g. moving the camera).

So I hoped I might get some help here on the forums. As far as I know I didn't change any other options (in general) except the internal resolution and my games seem to run fairly smooth otherwise (PAL games on 50fps as intended on an i7 with 16gb ram and 580gtx sli with pcsx2 version 1.0.0).
greetings

Sponsored links

(02-17-2013, 03:57 AM)fuerchter Wrote: Hi there,
I have searched a bit (on google and the forums) regarding this issue and it seems some people too have this problem: Whenever I move in most games I play on pcsx2 I tend to see a double image of sorts which is actually starting to make me a bit dizzy ^^.

I just wanted to start playing Persona 4 when I remembered that I had this issue earlier on other games but was to lazy to do anything about it. The common solution to this is apparently setting the internal resolution in the GS plugin to native so I thought I'd change it to that but unfortunately that didn't solve my problem Wacko (here is a screenshot on native internal resolution and here is one on 6x native, in my case this effect can just be duplicated by going into the game and e.g. moving the camera).

So I hoped I might get some help here on the forums. As far as I know I didn't change any other options (in general) except the internal resolution and my games seem to run fairly smooth otherwise (PAL games on 50fps as intended on an i7 with 16gb ram and 580gtx sli with pcsx2 version 1.0.0).
greetings

Don't know if this will work, but it's worth a shot. Go into the GS Plugin Settings, enable hardware hacks, and change skipdraw to 1, If that doesn't work, tick "Half-Pixel Offset". Let me know if that did anything for ya.
Didn't fix anything unfortunately Wacko
(02-17-2013, 04:33 AM)fuerchter Wrote: Didn't fix anything unfortunately Wacko

I'll leave it to someone else then, I figured it was worth a shot. Sorry It didn't help.
Persona 4 had that as a feature;p, it's not a glitch, it's just how the game was designed and how originally looks. It's very minor and easy to get used to anyway.

Most other games with "ghosting" have issue with postprocessing effects being missplaced during upscalling and for those yeah offset hacks are usually a way to go.
(02-17-2013, 07:19 AM)miseru99 Wrote: Persona 4 had that as a feature;p, it's not a glitch, it's just how the game was designed and how originally looks. It's very minor and easy to get used to anyway.

Persona 4 is NOT designed to look like that, that looks absolutely terrible. Did you not see the picture at all?

This is what it should look like, (6x res)here. If you try it in software mode, you may not have this issue but you won't be able to play in above Native res if you do. What version of PCSX2 are you using? I tried some things to recreate the problem like not using correct game fixes and was still unable to. I am using NTSC-U and not PAL.
Well I didn't even checked the screenshot ~ external links are evil;p assumed it's about the subtle effect many people disliked. Never really saw anything wrong with the graphics while running Persona 4.

Edit: Actually after checking that screenshot I still can be right;p. OP probably abuses VU cycle stealing and/or EE cyclerate hacks, they both slows down the game meaning less frames for animation and soo whenever camera is moved that subtle effect I wrote about being proper built in game, turns into what he captured on screenshot. Soo yeah ~ yet another problem caused by hack abuse.
I have to agree with miseru, that effect is supposed to be there when you rotate the camera and run around Inaba. It doesn't really occur in the TV world though, nor in Dojima's house.
I always assume it was meant to give the game a more dreamy, suureal atmosphere.
Play it on a real PS2 and you'll see for yourself.
(02-17-2013, 09:01 AM)Sukunda Wrote: If you try it in software mode, you may not have this issue but you won't be able to play in above Native res if you do. What version of PCSX2 are you using? ... I am using NTSC-U and not PAL.

I already tried it in software mode and it didn't work either. The version of my pcsx2 can be found in the first post...This also happens in NTSC versions of games (as I am about to show).

(02-17-2013, 09:27 AM)miseru99 Wrote: assumed it's about the subtle effect many people disliked...OP probably abuses VU cycle stealing and/or EE cyclerate hacks...Soo yeah ~ yet another problem caused by hack abuse.

I already stated in my first post that apart from the internal resolution I didn't change any other options from default.

That "subtle effect" as you call it coincidentally is also present in Virtua Fighter 4 NTSC for me (image1, image2).

(02-17-2013, 11:31 AM)devina40 Wrote: I have to agree with miseru, that effect is supposed to be there

See above.
Although unsure if should answer that thread (since I don't have the game, one on my wishlist) there are some things that can be answered in general fashion. The image post processing is beyond the emulation itself, it an extra given by the emulator and a nice extra, but it may make less than subtle any subtle feature...

Still, the real reason to this post is to advise to get the newest SVN and try the new hacks on the GSDX plugin. There are two new entries there you can input TC offsets to the x and y axis. From another thread I read you could start inputting 500 and if it changes something try adjusting till getting the best possible result.
Imagination is where we are truly real