God of War language problem (again)
I've had this problem quite a while ago (almost three years) already, and it seems it's back now.

I'm trying to play God of War (E) [SCES-53133] via PCSX2. The game doesn't have a Language Select screen and as far as I can tell uses the language set by the PS2 bios. When booting up the game through Reboot CDVD (fast), the game will always start up in English instead of my native tongue.
Last time, bositman advised me to set the bios language and then run the game through "Execute", which did a full bios boot. That worked like a charm.

This time, it's different. Using the latest revision or 1.0.0, the game boots normally via the (fast) option, but once again only in English.
However, using the (full) option, after the bios screen and a short black screen (during which the console log window title changes to the game's database description) I'm dumped back into the bios on the screen showing my memory cards and the disk.
Selecting the disk results in another short black screen and a return to the memory cards.

I'm not sure what to do this time, except downloading an ancient version like 0.9.7?
I've tried the native ISO reader as well as Gigaherz' CDVD plugin. No speedhacks, standard options and so on. I'm not sure why it boots flawlessly with the (fast) option but refuses to do so in (full).

Sponsored links

Your bios is PAL right?
(12-26-2012, 12:01 AM)vsub Wrote: Your bios is PAL right?

Yeah, i got the 2.30 European bios from one of the more 'recent' slims.
Did you used the same bios before when it worked(there are some changes to that bios)?
(12-26-2012, 12:06 AM)vsub Wrote: Did you used the same bios before when it worked(there are some changes to that bios)?

Yeah, it's the same bios, and I can boot into it just fine.

I just tried booting a different game through the bios (Kingdom Hearts) and it works. I then noticed that there's usually the PlayStation 2 logo after you leave the bios and before the game starts.
With God of War, I never get to the logo and land at the memory card screen.
Long ago, I used PCSX2 0.9.8 with SCPH-90001 BIOS (NTSC-U) to boot God of War PAL. I never used full boot. And there was the language selection screen. At that time I left the BIOS untouched without configuring the language.
(12-26-2012, 03:56 AM)Livy Wrote: Long ago, I used PCSX2 0.9.8 with SCPH-90001 BIOS (NTSC-U) to boot God of War PAL. I never used full boot. And there was the language selection screen. At that time I left the BIOS untouched without configuring the language.

Are you sure it was God of War 1? There's a language selection screen in God of War 2, and the only thing that BIOS settings do for that game is set the cursor to your system's language by default.
But there's no language selection in GoW1, as far as I know. I haven't ever seen a language selection in GoW1 on my physical PS2, either.

If anyone can tell me which log sources would be useful, I can post a console log when trying to boot through BIOS.
My bad. I actually meant GoW2. I thought you're talking about it. Ninja Nevermind.
I found the problem that makes GoW not boot correctly in full boot!

It's apparently the so-called Toxic Dual Layer patch i applied to be able to burn the game. Which is strange because i'm pretty sure in earlier versions (0.9.7?) i had no problem booting the patched ISO.

I ripped another clean version from my original disk and voilá, God of War starts up when using full boot! And in the right language to boot, heh.

So the question remains, why does the game not work with the Toxic patch? And is it possible to correct the problem?
ask Toxic.

I'm pretty sure he didn't make his patch to make sure it works with an emu... Wink
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go