God of War slow gameplay
Question 
When I'm playing God of War, the gameplay can get really slow in some scenes, like some slow-motion effect is turned on. I was wondering if taht can somehow be fixed (with frameskipping, or something).

I'm pretty sure my PC is strong enough to handle it. The specs are:
Processor: Quad-core Intel i7-2600k 3.4 GHz
Video Card: GeForce GTX 590 3 GB dual-GPU
RAM: 12 GB

The settings I use in PCSX2:

Video (GSdx 4600 sse2 0.1.16):
Direct3D11 (Hardware)
No interlacing
3x Native resolution
Texture filtering squared (not ticked, not un-ticked)
Allow 8-Bit textures not ticked
Logarithmic Z and Alpha correction ticked and non-editable

Audio (SPU2X r4600m 1.4.0):
Catmull-ROM mixer
Disable effect processing not ticked
XAudio 2 module
150 ms latency
TimeStretch synchronizing
Surround 5.1 mode

I know this could probably be fixed by setting resolution a bit lower, but if I set it below 3x native, it looks really ugly.

Sponsored links

I suggest you overclock that CPU to 4.0 Ghz and it should be ok.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(02-27-2012, 11:05 PM)jesalvein Wrote: I suggest you overclock that CPU to 4.0 Ghz and it should be ok.
I used speedhacks as mentioned here, and fixed the problem without having to overclock. One thing though - I have the problem with Kratos blinking, which is a known issue, and it says that the fix for it is to upgrade to the latest version of SVN. What exactly is SVN? And, I just downloaded PCSX2 yesterday, so the program version should be up to date.

www.pcsx2.net/svn.php

SVN stands for "subversion".
Those are the latest beta versions, less stable, but with many bugs corrected too. I guess what you downloaded yesterday is the latest stable.

About this "blinking" : afaik, this occurs when you push vu cycle stealing speedhack too hugh.
I dunno if this is corrected in the latest svn, don't think it'll be one day if not so...

Speedhacks are made for people who don't have a good rig. It's not your case. Using a 2600k without OCing it is just a big waste, trust me Wink
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
it is fixed with a new revision Smile

make sure you use MTVU , VU cycling up to 2 ( not 3 ) , recommended speed hacks , DX10(11) and last but not least x4 native res and enjoy!

I'm using the latest SVN of PCSX2 and "God of War" and "God of War 2" on my AMD X4 640 overclocked to 3.3 GHz (WinXP SP3). Regular settings, speedhacks (standard) activated, only native resolution. I activated MTVU but I do not really see a noticeable gain in speed. I would like to use "Direct3D9 (Software)" as my graphics card is lousy - but software is still slower than hardware. But I thought when using native resolution the graphics card does not really matter (I have a ATI Radeon HD 2400 - I know, I know...)!?

What are the "recommended speed hacks" exactely abdo123 was speaking about? And I thought DX10(11) is definately slower than DX9 as mentioned here very often!?

The "God of War" wiki from PCSX2 (link above) does not really help in setting it up. Description what settings have to be used are very vague there...
*points to settings thread in his sig*

try these?
Thanx! This is really helpful! Smile

My CPU is not THAT slow - I think 4 x 3.3 GHz is nice. Surely not the best but certainly better as mentioned in your thread...

With the settings applied recommended in our thread I get about 30 to 35 frames. It feels slow.
Maybe someone with a similar config has a good tip which options makes the game the fastest possible?
what pcsx2 version are you using?
(05-06-2012, 11:50 PM)ClarkKent Wrote: I'm using the latest SVN of PCSX2 and "God of War" and "God of War 2" on my AMD X4 640 overclocked to 3.3 GHz (WinXP SP3). Regular settings, speedhacks (standard) activated, only native resolution. I activated MTVU but I do not really see a noticeable gain in speed. I would like to use "Direct3D9 (Software)" as my graphics card is lousy - but software is still slower than hardware. But I thought when using native resolution the graphics card does not really matter (I have a ATI Radeon HD 2400 - I know, I know...)!?

What are the "recommended speed hacks" exactely abdo123 was speaking about? And I thought DX10(11) is definately slower than DX9 as mentioned here very often!?

The "God of War" wiki from PCSX2 (link above) does not really help in setting it up. Description what settings have to be used are very vague there...

the speedhacks which it said after it "recommended" Smile

and MTVU not having any gain in GOW1/2 are you sure i have dual core and i had ~20% gain !

who mention DX9 is faster than 10 that is just game based some games like dx9 and some don't but DX10 ( if supported )

should be used first since it usually have better compatibility and sometimes better speed Smile

SW render will be better than HW render in this case but ...

it will be always slow and try to use 2/3 ( if MTVU is disabled ) threads in multithreading in SW render ( 1 for VU 1 for EE and 2 for GS )

will give you some FPS

(02-28-2012, 01:36 AM)jesalvein Wrote: www.pcsx2.net/svn.php

SVN stands for "subversion".
Those are the latest beta versions, less stable, but with many bugs corrected too. I guess what you downloaded yesterday is the latest stable.

About this "blinking" : afaik, this occurs when you push vu cycle stealing speedhack too hugh.
I dunno if this is corrected in the latest svn, don't think it'll be one day if not so...

Speedhacks are made for people who don't have a good rig. It's not your case. Using a 2600k without OCing it is just a big waste, trust me Wink

i made that known issue in Wiki it is fixed in the latest SVN ( thanks to Shadow lady )

but who deleted it ???

Edit : re wrote it