Gran Turismo 4 - Is my system beefy enough?
Question 
I've downloaded PCSX2 v1.0.0 r5350, and have my Gran Turismo 4 disc, (and my PS2 slim dumped ROM), but when I try to play it, all the races run at a max of 25 fps or so. In the aggressive preset modes, I can get up to 30 or so in some sections, but with bad graphics. Is there anything I can do to get some better performance with this game?

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz (OC'ed to 2.646 Ghz)
- Nvidia 9800GT
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

I'm using the SS3 version of the GSdx video plugin.

On a performance scale with a max of 7.9 for each component possible, the Windows Experience Index rates my system as:

- CPU: 7.1
- Memory: 5.9
- Desktop and Gaming Graphics: Both 6.8
- Primary hard drive: 5.9

Thanks!

Sponsored links

you could simply get a better cpu.
That one is too weak to emulate GT4 correctly.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Set GSdx to native resolution, that could help with the GPU.
Then look into a further CPU overclock. 3.2Ghz or so would help.
I can guarentee youll at least get 3Ghz out of that chip Smile (used to have one)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(09-27-2012, 11:09 AM)refraction Wrote: I can guarentee youll at least get 3Ghz out of that chip Smile (used to have one)

3ghz sounds about right for good speeds (maybe not always full speeds but most of the time you will) with the 1.1.0 revision and the recomended speedhacks
The 2.646 Ghz OC is the best I could achieve on stock voltage by raising the FSB. Any higher didn't cause any Windows instability, it just resulted in a no-boot condition. Looks like I'll have to bump the voltage up to get higher, but I'm running the stock HSF, and want to get a better one before I push it any farther. Should have the cash next week. :-)

This game/emu is the first thing I've run into that has pegged my CPU as a bottleneck. Prior to this, I thought I had a beast of a system for one I found sitting on the curb waiting for garbage pickup! All it needed was a new power supply, and I happened to have a nice Mushkin Enhanced 580w unit with modular plugs sitting in my closet from a failed AMD build. In it went, and the system powered right up. People will throw away stuff for the simplest reasons!

I've thought about moving up to the ultimate CPU for this system, a QX9770 (Passmark score of 4874, vs. 2972 for my Q6600, almost a 64% increase), but the cheapest I can find it selling for is $821 with tax/shipping, which is insane. I could build a complete new high-end Core i7 system and move to DDR3 RAM (current system uses DDR2-800) for less than that!