Grandia 2 crash
Hi there,

First off, this is a partial continuation of a thread I made months ago which is here.

I'm almost at the end of the game but I can't progress any further due to a continuous crash which occurs after a CG movie.

I'm using a PAL disc (SLES50498), with pretty much every plugin. Version 0.9.6 definitely has the issue (even though the compatibility list says it's perfectly playable), I've not tried different versions due to the awkwardness of the crash; it's right after a boss, 3 CG movies, 3 cut scenes and 3 mini bosses... no saves possible between those and save-states don't work between versions Glare

So a couple of questions:
A) Are save-states transferable between disc types (I.E. PAL to NTSC)?
B) If the above is possible, then if I upload the save-state somewhere, can some kind soul get me past the movie and re-up the save-state?
C) Is there any other alternative?

Sponsored links

(01-25-2010, 02:02 PM)Auraomega Wrote: A) Are save-states transferable between disc types (I.E. PAL to NTSC)?
B) If the above is possible, then if I upload the save-state somewhere, can some kind soul get me past the movie and re-up the save-state?
C) Is there any other alternative?

a) no
c) just use the latest beta, you won't die from playing the whole sequence one more time. not to mention it's all dead easy. if it doesn't work, then no one can help you, unless you find someone with a save file made after the problematic cutscene.

by the way, Grandia 2 has a PC version, why emulate it?
Split your lungs with blood and thunder when you see the white whale.
Thanks for that, the beta fixed both issues, I hadn't realised there was beta versions available as I just downloaded from the main site.

As for emulating it, I already have the PS2 disc so it's cheaper for me (and easier than sourcing an old game out).
(01-25-2010, 05:31 PM)idn Wrote: by the way, Grandia 2 has a PC version, why emulate it?

Because not everyone buys multiple versions of a game?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(01-25-2010, 09:42 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote:
(01-25-2010, 05:31 PM)idn Wrote: by the way, Grandia 2 has a PC version, why emulate it?

Because not everyone buys multiple versions of a game?

that's true, but considering Grandia 2 PC costs somewhere between $2 and $10 (shiny, sparkling, unused copy) that's hardly an argument. I mean, why go through all the trouble of emulating the PS2 version with high requirements and all that, bugs, etc., when for the price of a large Coca-Cola bottle (or five if you want a new one) you can have the native version?

I understand the "I already have it, it plays well on the emulator, so why bother" argument, but I have seen many people simply unaware that there is a PC version of something (like the GTA series or MGS2... though MGS2 on Ati graphics cards is kinda buggy ;p) and struggling to play the PS2 version with abyssmal frame rates and graphical glitches. native versions are mostly cheap and stress-free. ;)
That may be for you, if I wanted to find a copy of Grandia 2 PC here it'd cost me 20-40bucks new :P

Besides as far as I know (at least from user reports) the game is perfectly playable in PCSX2 and speed is very good even on slower machines, and lets not forget being able to play in the PS2 itself so you actually can play the same in PC and PS2.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(01-25-2010, 10:26 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: That may be for you, if I wanted to find a copy of Grandia 2 PC here it'd cost me 20-40bucks new Tongue

wow, that's expensive.