Grandia 3
Hey guys. Just joined this place. Been using PCSX2 for a while now but recently started playing Grandia 3 on it and it plays well but when there are cut scenes that involve dialog there's incredible slowdowns. Any idea why?? My PC specs are AMD X4 955 BE running at 4.0Ghz with 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw Ram and a HD 4670. Could it be the graphics card?? Most other games play well. I had the same issue with Wild Arms 3 during the cut scenes that involved dialog too. No idea why. Tried changing the settings but to no avail. If it's my graphics card could someone suggest something better??

Sponsored links

I know that in Wild Arms it's definitely the graphics card. Those scenes demand very fast memory.

In Grandia 3 the cutscenes use lots of triangles so it could be your CPU or your GPU that's holding you back.
Configure GSdx to use native resolution instead of upscaled and see if that helps speed.
If it does, it's your GPU that's too slow.
(02-24-2012, 11:53 PM)rama Wrote: I know that in Wild Arms it's definitely the graphics card. Those scenes demand very fast memory.

In Grandia 3 the cutscenes use lots of triangles so it could be your CPU or your GPU that's holding you back.
Configure GSdx to use native resolution instead of upscaled and see if that helps speed.
If it does, it's your GPU that's too slow.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I always leave native resolution on since it seems to help with some games so I'm guessing it's my GPU? It's a pretty average card to be honest. Any idea what GPU would be the best for PCSX2?

Sure. Something beefy obviously Tongue2
It depends on your budget.
A GTX 560Ti from Nvidia would be nice.

By the way, did you try the latest SVN build of PCSX2 and its MTVU speedhack?
http://pcsx2.net/svn.php
Just downloaded that version. Still encountering the same problems. The game is very playable. Just the annoying cut scenes with dialog that get weird slowdowns. I'd be willing to spend around £150 on a GPU. How much is the GTX 560Ti?
(02-25-2012, 01:33 AM)supernaan Wrote: Just downloaded that version. Still encountering the same problems. The game is very playable. Just the annoying cut scenes with dialog that get weird slowdowns. I'd be willing to spend around £150 on a GPU. How much is the GTX 560Ti?

A new GTX560Ti is usually around £170-£200
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz
GPU: MSI Twin FRozr GTX560Ti
MOBO: MSI Z68A-GD65-G3 Intel Z68
(02-25-2012, 01:46 PM)FinalSquall Wrote: A new GTX560Ti is usually around £170-£200

Hi thanks for your reply. If I was going to spend that kind of money would you think it would be better spent on an Intel CPU? I heard they work better with PCSX2?? I have a friend who is selling an Intel i7 2600k for £180. I do have a mobo for it. Or do you think the GPU would make the difference in my current rig with the AMD X4 955 BE running at 4.0ghz?

Hmm, that's hard to tell.
The i7 will definitely help in other PCSX2 games but for Grandia 3 it might be a hard GPU limit (since the MTVU speedhack didn't help you).
It would help if you show us what the EE/GS% and FPS numbers in the game window say when you get those slowdowns to have a better idea on what's actually causing them, you could also try using frameskip (shift+f4 while playing) and if you get full speed with that then it's definitely your GPU.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
This game is heavy on both the CPU and GPU, on my old pc E7400 @ 3.2 ghz I was unable to get full speed with the cutscenes, on my newer pc /w i7 (using same video card) I can get a constant 60fps

So I would say it's more CPU dependent, also looking at my GPU Usage (using upscaling) it does spike at some times to 70-80 %, then drops back down to 20-40%

(tested on a cutscene)