Graphical errors with MGS2?
Does anyone else have this problem with Metal Gear Solid 2 [NTSC:US]

[Image: mgs2.jpg]

The laser sighting from the gun is rendered as a dark line, also the infrared traps are dark lines also (though I guess it saves me using cigs).
The framerate is also pretty low considering the ES and GS percentage, this is on a 2500K @ 4.1Ghz with software rendering threads set to 3.

Any help appreciated, oh it's also one of the later builds (1.3.1-20150810120520) - I know there's no support for GIT but anyway just so you
know the bug is there.  Strangely it's not there in hardware mode, but I don't use that due to its lack of accuracy, which is ironic here lol.
i5 7600k, GTX 680, 16GB DDR4 3000
Manjaro [Hakoila] KDE Plasma

Sponsored links

Can you try opengl with various accurate blending etc and hw depth combinations?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(09-16-2015, 01:43 AM)refraction Wrote: Can you try opengl with various accurate blending etc and hw depth combinations?

Using hardware OpenGL and having HW OpenGL Depth on or off gives the same result - the laser renders correctly. It also renders correctly in Hardware D3D11, it's just software mode where it is wrong.

Also on the subject of OpenGL it is absolutely unusable on my PC (AMD 7850 2GB graphics card), in hardware mode I will get about 8fps (98% GS) and in OpenGL Software mode I will be lucky to break 30fps. I assume this is due to the lack of GL 4.5, either that or AMD's GL drivers are even ***** than I originally thought. Due to this reason I'm unable to test OGL hardware with different blending unit accuracy, it just disables it everytime I try.

I just thought the software renderer was superior to the HW renderers but it doesn't seem to be the case with this game...

I don't know if it's relevant but I also get this warning in the log as soon as the play area loads:

microVU0 Warning: Branch, Branch, Branch! [05c8]
microVU0 Warning: Branch, Branch, Branch! [05c8]
Yeh that's fine, I believe we handle that correctly, it's just an old message so we know when it comes up. If it renders correctly in HW mode and not in Software, then that could be a software bug or a lucky hardware bug Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Do you have the issue on stable build? Maybe it is a regression.

Oh by the way.
Quote:I assume this is due to the lack of GL 4.5, either that or AMD's GL drivers are even ***** than I originally thought
GL4.5 feature is not about speed but accuracy. I let's you conclude on the AMD driver quality. There are 2 possibilities
1/ We do a dedicated GSDx implementation for AMD (might not be enough). Or
2/ We implement the top layer of the driver in PCSX2 (aka DX12/Vulkan).
(09-16-2015, 12:12 PM)gregory Wrote: Do you have the issue on stable build? Maybe it is a regression.

I've just tried on the official 1.2.1 build and unfortunately the issue remains so maybe the bug has always been there but because most people probably use hardware rendering it might have gone unnoticed?

(09-16-2015, 12:12 PM)gregory Wrote: Oh by the way.
GL4.5 feature is not about speed but accuracy. I let's you conclude on the AMD driver quality. There are 2 possibilities
1/ We do a dedicated GSDx implementation for AMD (might not be enough). Or
2/ We implement the top layer of the driver in PCSX2 (aka DX12/Vulkan).

I'm all for accuracy over speed any day of the week, however there seems to be something severely wrong when my performance in software mode is impacted, after all I'm guessing it's just rendering a Quad with a texture mapped on to it and all the real work is done behind the scenes in software.  I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my drivers, I'm using 13.12 WHQL as they seem to be the most stable for me with other games but I've noticed in PCSX2 log I get the following when selecting OpenGL Hardware :

3.x GL context successfully created
Failed to find glClearTexImage
Failed to find glBufferStorage
Failed to find glCreateTextures
Failed to find glTextureSubImage2D
Failed to find glCopyTextureSubImage2D
Failed to find glBindTextureUnit
Failed to find glGetTextureImage
Failed to find glTextureParameteri
Failed to find glCreateFramebuffers
Failed to find glClearNamedFramebufferfv
Failed to find glClearNamedFramebufferuiv
Failed to find glClearNamedFramebufferiv
Failed to find glNamedFramebufferTexture
Failed to find glNamedFramebufferDrawBuffers
Failed to find glNamedFramebufferReadBuffer
Failed to find glCheckNamedFramebufferStatus
Failed to find glCreateBuffers
Failed to find glNamedBufferStorage
Failed to find glNamedBufferData
Failed to find glNamedBufferSubData
Failed to find glMapNamedBuffer
Failed to find glMapNamedBufferRange
Failed to find glUnmapNamedBuffer
Failed to find glFlushMappedNamedBufferRange
Failed to find glCreateSamplers
Failed to find glCreateProgramPipelines
Failed to find glClipControl
Failed to find glTextureBarrier
DSA is not supported. Replacing the GL function pointer to emulate it
OpenGL information. GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series. Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.. Driver: Core Profile Forward-Compatible Context 13.251.0.0
Buggy driver detected, GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects will be disabled

INFO: GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic is available
INFO: GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 is available
INFO: GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend is available
INFO: GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects is NOT SUPPORTED
INFO: GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store is available
INFO: GL_ARB_copy_image is available
INFO: GL_ARB_buffer_storage is NOT SUPPORTED
INFO: GL_ARB_clear_texture is NOT SUPPORTED
INFO: GL_ARB_clip_control is NOT SUPPORTED
INFO: GL_ARB_direct_state_access is NOT SUPPORTED
INFO: GL_ARB_texture_barrier is NOT SUPPORTED
DSA is not supported. Replacing the GL function pointer to emulate it
Error GL_ARB_texture_barrier is not supported by your driver. You can't emulate correctly the GS blending unit! Sorry!

So maybe my driver is buggy like it says or maybe buggy is AMD's 'normal'.

Also, please don't go the DX12 route, at least not exclusively though I guess with you being a Linux coder thankfully that won't happen.  I'd hate it if we were forced to use Windows 10.  Vulkan sounds like a good idea though. Biggrin
You also got to remember that the Metal Gear games always pushed their hardware's limitations. So their may be some bug's that can't be fixed like with the fog in MG3.
Rejoice, my friends, I have found a solution. The bug goes way back to PCSX2 1.1.0.5622, but the fix is pretty straightforward: just enable Edge anti-aliasing (AA1) in GS plugin under Extra rendering threads and the laser sight starts to render correctly. I don't have the latest build, but I hope this option is still included in GSdx.
(04-05-2016, 09:02 AM)Dant Wrote: Rejoice, my friends, I have found a solution. The bug goes way back to PCSX2 1.1.0.5622, but the fix is pretty straightforward: just enable Edge anti-aliasing (AA1) in GS plugin under Extra rendering threads and the laser sight starts to render correctly. I don't have the latest build, but I hope this option is still included in GSdx.
This does indeed fix the issue, and yes the option is still there in the latest build. Wink
Not gonna happen in HW mode however.