Gsdx or Zerogs lock internal res to aspect ratio?
I know what your thinking already; internal res has nothing to do with display size but hear me out.
We all know the higher the Internal Resolution the higher the pixel count and thus more GPU load. But what i don't understand is why u guys on here recommend to square internal res values(make both values equal therefore forming a square). Squaring off aspect ratios is a waste of GPU load because for instance:

if i have a monitor with its resolution set to 1680x1050 and i set the internal res to 1680x1680(squared, which u guys recommend), it means wasted pixels on the vertical res(second value) because my monitor can only output 1050 vertical wise and so u have pixels that are being rendered but are not even being seen.

in other words say my monitor at 1680x1050 outputs 1,764,000 pixels; setting internal res to 1680x1680 would cause it to output 2,821,000 pixels which means 1,057,000 wasted pixels because my monitor can only render 1,764,000 pixels. So all of those wasted pixels could have been to much better use by even using a resolution of 1920x1200 which outputs 2,303,000 pixels which is not only 518,000 pixels less than the squared res(1680x1680) but also a higher resolution and which also means less stress on the gpu.

So as u can see setting the internal res value to the screen size or even better, the resolution that is being rendered by pcsx2, is a more efficient way to go.

Therefor this value should also be tied with the "Aspect Ratio" setting in the Window Settings. And also a "lock internal res to aspect ratio" feature/option would be nice so we can just input one of the values and the other value would change on the fly to maintain the aspect ratio when resizing. This saves gpu load and increases the efficiency of the gs plugin.

correct me if i'm wrong about anything i said please. i enjoy learning my wrongs and rights.

PS:i was referring to version 0.9.7
Q8300 @ 3.0GHz | Radeon HD 5770 | Windows 7 64-bit

Sponsored links

Man, you totaly out of point. Internal resolution have absolutely no connetion with monitor size. It could be even 10240*10240, if you videocard support this render. Render is a rectangle space, that recalculated to window size (window, not monitor!) at last stage of drawing. With GS plugin you should be aware, that vertex space of pcsx2 are 4096*4096, so renderer's bigger than that are useless. But bigger here is always better other hand is texturing, that made properly into "native" renderer, So one pcsx2 pixel should be present as 1 pixel in renderer space. Native resolution's are differ from you monitor, it's one pcsx2 supported videomodes. From point of texturing, renderer's size should be native * (a, b).

Once again, you monitor resolution have no impact on speed or other aspects of rendering, it's just a mere output device. Monitor does not "render" anything, rendering is happened in memory.
(09-19-2010, 01:30 PM)Zeydlitz Wrote: Man, you totaly out of point. Internal resolution have absolutely no connetion with monitor size. It could be even 10240*10240, if you videocard support this render. Render is a rectangle space, that recalculated to window size (window, not monitor!) at last stage of drawing. With GS plugin you should be aware, that vertex space of pcsx2 are 4096*4096, so renderer's bigger than that are useless. But bigger here is always better other hand is texturing, that made properly into "native" renderer, So one pcsx2 pixel should be present as 1 pixel in renderer space. Native resolution's are differ from you monitor, it's one pcsx2 supported videomodes. From point of texturing, renderer's size should be native * (a, b).

Once again, you monitor resolution have no impact on speed or other aspects of rendering, it's just a mere output device. Monitor does not "render" anything, rendering is happened in memory.
i see. so using same values is actually better? i know the range of the two values from each other matter to a point because setting internal res to 1680*256 looks very unpleasant. So just want to know if using the same values i best?

Q8300 @ 3.0GHz | Radeon HD 5770 | Windows 7 64-bit
Better values are game resolution multiply by 2 or 4.