Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
HDD Mode
I was just wondering what the difference is between RAID and AHCI and some other mode for booting hard drive. In my BIOS I noticed that it lets me select which mode to run it in and it's currently set to RAID. Is it better to change it to some other mode since I only have one hard drive or not...
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU

Sponsored links

AHCI is the mode SATA is supposed to be in, but due to how compatability has always been for IDE, operating systems get a bit grumpy if you just try to switch it on, so you need to read up on turning it on after install if you want it. AHCI is required for Native Command Queuing and Flashing SSD's.

if youre set to RAID, that implies you are using 2 or more hard disks set in RAID mode either Striped (half the data on each disc) or mirrored (both containing the same data for redundancy) or a higher mode which combines these methods and some other tricks.

You might be able to get away with changing to AHCI mode from RAID if you really are using 1 disc, but if it doesnt boot (itll bluescreen if not) youll need to change it back and find out how Tongue
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
And all SSD's are much faster in ACHI mode. At least 30% faster. Found this out after I used a SSD Benchie and someone showed it was in IDE mode. Switched to AHCI and my score doubled.
Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHZ, 8GB RAM 1866MHZ, 1080 GTX Strix, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD +  2 1TB HDDs.) Windows 7 64-bit Professional
I think there are two disk drives (Drive C which is the main drive and Drive D which is a 12GB Recovery drive) but I'm not sure if that's two physical HDD's. When I open the PC case I only see one HDD inside. One thing that always bothered me is that right now it says that I'm using 162 GB of space on the C drive. However I manually counted all the GB in each folder WITH the "View hidden files and folders" enabled in Control Panel and still I can only come up with 60GB worth of data. I just can't account for the other 100GB that "My Computer" says I'm using. Is that maybe due to RAID mode and the whole mirroring thing that you were mentioning? Could it be that my drive has a backup of all data on the same drive or something like that?
Corsair GS 600W PSU
(02-05-2012, 02:21 AM)Qaddafi Wrote: I think there are two disk drives (Drive C which is the main drive and Drive D which is a 12GB Recovery drive) but I'm not sure if that's two physical HDD's.

no thatll be a partition cos you bought your pc from a shop prebuilt ;p

[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
"I manually counted all the GB in each folder"... that's just sad;P do we really live in XXI century? Anyway jokes aside(sorry;P), there are also system files which you cannot check by just showing hidden files and folders;P I guess restore points are example of such and they can take alot of space(I think it's over 1gb per 1 in my case).
(02-05-2012, 03:06 AM)miseru99 Wrote: "I manually counted all the GB in each folder"... that's just sad;P do we really live in XXI century? Anyway jokes aside(sorry;P), there are also system files which you cannot check by just showing hidden files and folders;P I guess restore points are example of such and they can take alot of space(I think it's over 1gb per 1 in my case).

Can I delete those in a safe way? (the restore points) The reason I am asking is that it takes my PC 3 minutes to fully boot up. What I mean by that is from the moment I push the power button until I get the desktop to be fully responsive. That is just unacceptable even for an HDD (which has 3.0 Gb/s transfer speeds so I guess it's SATA II) an I would like to cut that down a little bit. My brother's computer has a weaker processor, slower RAM, and smaller/slower HDD and still his PC boots up in like 60 seconds... so I'm jealous...
Corsair GS 600W PSU
Ummm it's safe as long as nothing brakes minutes later and you'll have no restore points.;P 3 minutes is hell lot of time my hdd's are trashed and fragmented including system one and it takes 70s to load from pressing a button to being fully operational if I do it normal way, soo I would say you have different problem than hdd;O and even being ignorant I'm fairy sure surely freeing some space with not speed up the boot time.

Maybe you have loads of programs loading with your system? Turn them off temporarily using msconfig and reboot to check time that's usually most common slowdown I would say.

Somewhere above I also wrote 70s if I do it "normal' way, couse I have asrock mobo, not sure if something similar is available on other mobos, but with "instant boot" I have system in no time at the cost of longer turning off. Through that's just for a show off xD, couse I don't care much about booting time.
Start by defragmenting the drive.
(02-05-2012, 11:06 AM)rama Wrote: Start by defragmenting the drive.

It automatically defragments every 2 weeks or so. BTW is there any way to delete those Restore points?
Corsair GS 600W PSU