Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDD vs SSD
Question 
Intel wants SSD's to be mainstream soon(optimistically 2011 but I'd say 2012-2013) the general facts of both seem to beSadmention if I've missed anything major,I'll add)

HDD:
pros:
/ An established technology, minimal bug issues
/ A larger amount of data can be stored than SSD relative to price
/ cheap

cons:
/ Due to moving parts it physically takes time for the pin to move between different points of the disc meaning that there is a barrier as this can not be solved by computing power
/ break easy
/ prone to data fragmentation, while this happens on SSD's too it does not matter as all data is read using memory at lightspeed whereas on an HDD data-fragmentation means more pin movement.
/ the rate of technological development for HDD is 10x slower than SSD, SSD are expected to overtake HDD in capacity and continue much faster than HDD ever did.

SSD:
pros:
/ the lack of moving parts now means that all the data is accessed as if RAM meaning literally lightspeed
/ very durable
/ non-existent latency
/ Rate of development is exponential

cons:
/ a hole in your pocket
/ cannot at this time store as much as traditional HDDs
/ still a new technology and odd bugs still present

Verdict?

At the moment I think HDDs still come on on top for value maybe a year or two I'll change my mind but what do you guys think??
Also, if PCSX2 was using an ISO from an SSD instead of an HDD, how many fps do you think it would add if any?
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT

Sponsored links

pcsx2 wouldnt benefit at all, 0 result

for me the verdict is simple, 80-100gb ssd (in 1 year probably they are still too expensive at that capacity) for the OS and 1 or more large hdd for the rest
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
i agree with what iakoboss7 says.pcsx2 wouldn't benefit from an ssd or even if it would benefit it would be only for 1 or 2 fps maybe.
But for other commercial games or apps,having them installed in an SSD would boost their loading times
um HDD is still the one for me I mean did you see the Price for a 80g SSD would not just blow a hole in my pocket but it will blow my entire pants away I am imagining it now by the time they release a 1TB SSD I will be an old man so unless it become's not only a better but cheaper alternative to the HDD I dont see it turning mainstream in even after 3-5years I mean I would not exchange my 1TB HDD to an 80g SSD and in price the 80g SSD is way too much more expensive than a 1TB HDD
My New PC
[Image: 1714419.png]
[Image: stargate_sg_1_stamp_by_OmegaDreamSeeker11.jpg]
I've been using 2 raid0 configured 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD (Indilinx controller) for a year now.
This array houses my OS install and some PCSX2 source files.
Price was reasonable for what I got (~200EUR).

I can tell you guys that I'll *never* go back to a HDD system.
It's high time that the old HDD tech gets replaced, even if it's just for the OS disk for now.
Waiting for OS tasks to finish is definitely a thing of the past, imo Tongue2
i have a 60GB Corsair Reactor SSD i only use to store my windows and important programs, everything else i store on my other 3 HDD's (750GB + 1TB + 1TB).

Same as rama never going back to HDD's for windows storage at least, even if sometimes i need to power the pc on and off a couple o'times before it detects the SSD (dunno why though XD ).

you should check your pc... mobo or ssd hardware problem..

what would you think guys of the pci-e ssd's?
for example http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/so...-ssd-.html

what motherboards support "boot over pci-e"?

do they support raid? trim?
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
I myself have a 20g Samsung SSD [21000 yen LOL] given as gift from my aunt who works at japan and has my windows installed on it its quiet and very quik indeed compared to regular HDD but due small storage space and price I dont think it will be commonly used anytime soon
My New PC
Quote:SSD:
pros:
/ the lack of moving parts now means that all the data is accessed as if RAM meaning literally lightspeed
/ non-existent latency
Just to moderate a little, current SSD are slow... Access time is around 0,1 ms. RAM are much more faster. The reason is flash memory. HDD is one of the slowest things in universe Smile

By the way I'm not sure, flash SSD become mainstream one day. The mechanism of the flash require high voltage but it is not compatible with small technology (less than 20 nm for the moment aka 2 years). Perhaps phase-change memory will be the future.
does SSD have a longer lifespan than an HDD and how well does data recovery on an SSD be compared to an HDD is it safer to store our important data on an SSD
My New PC