HELP - CDVD Plugin failed to load
Thumbs Down 
Hi, this is my first post here.

I've spent a vast majority of today trying to get PCSX2 0.9.8 running on 64-bit Windows 7 (I'm pretty sure it worked when I had 32-bit). I can get the emulator to load but no matter what the CDVD plugin will not work, giving me the message:

"CDVD Plugin failed to open. Your computer may have insufficient resources, or incompatible hardware/drivers."

My system specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64-bit (Latest update SP1 I think).
AMD Phenom II XX4 840 (3.2GHz Quad)
ASRock 890GM Pro3 board
4GB G.Skill RAM
9800GT "Green" edition.
The DVD Drive is LG and connected via the 2nd SATA head.

Back to the problem, I have tried just about every CDVD plugin I could find on the net that plays directly from the drive, including:

CDVD 0.1.0
CDVDGigaherz (Several different versions, currently 0.8.0)
EFP Polling (Fails before I can even get out of it)
CDVDdolio

I then just about gave up and tried some ISO-based plugins, such as the Linuz one with the same result. I have tried changing Graphics and Sound plugins to no avail. Eventually since I had made the ISO of the game I've been trying to run I decided to try the ISO function directly from the emulator, which according to this should completely bypass the plugin. I still get the message. I have even tried Null plugins still with the same message. It appears to say in the console on applying the plugin settings that all the plugins, including the CDVDGigaherz one, loaded successfully it's only when I try to launch the emulator either through the plugin or through the ISO option. The only time I can get the emulator to start is when I select "No Disc", then I can load the boot screen.

Can anyone help me as to why I can't even load the ISO directly, or even better to be able to get ANY plugin working so that I can load a game, it would be much appreciated. I don't really want to make 10 ISO's of 3GB games so to be able to get a drive plugin working would be great. This has been pretty frustrating so thanks in advance for any help. Smile

Also when I was searching earlier I found something about another CDVD plugin (Author started with G but can't remember the exact name, I think it was on this site), I could not find a working download anywhere if someone could help me find this that would also be great. Who knows it might even work.

Sponsored links

wow you really are having issues!

okay. first off, if you use CDVDGigaherz, make sure its pointed to the correct drive and under the CDVD menu you need "plugin" dotted.

If youre going to use an ISO of the disc (which id peronally recommend) change it to "iso" and select the iso from that CDVD menu in the "Iso selector" sub option.

The most likely reason for it not working however is you have really old plugins and a new version of the emulator (we changed the spec). wipe the lot (except your bios!) and download the latest svn version which comes with all the plugins Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-19-2012, 04:47 PM)refraction Wrote: wow you really are having issues!

okay. first off, if you use CDVDGigaherz, make sure its pointed to the correct drive and under the CDVD menu you need "plugin" dotted.

If youre going to use an ISO of the disc (which id peronally recommend) change it to "iso" and select the iso from that CDVD menu in the "Iso selector" sub option.

The most likely reason for it not working however is you have really old plugins and a new version of the emulator (we changed the spec). wipe the lot (except your bios!) and download the latest svn version which comes with all the plugins Smile

Yes I have drive E selected in Gigaherz (C and D are the main storage, E is my DVD). As I said when I tried to load the ISO directly as you said it still gives me the CDVD error, however I actually had the cue file selected. I selected the actual ISO and get this:

[Header] Microsoft C++ Visual Runtime Library []

"Runtime Error!

(Big Red X) Program:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I feel we might be at least getting closer. I will try to find the new plugins too. Thanks for your help.
When you close pcsx2,check in taskmanager if the process is still there

I randomly get this(or maybe similar)problem when I try things on Valkyrie Profile 2 and pcsx2 crash.The process is still running and I can't start the game again until I kill the process
The program I used to make the ISO image, decided to make it as a "file" without an extension. I just put .iso at the end of it and now it works. I wiped the plugins clean and reinstalled and the ISO now works (probably would have in the first place as it turns out), however I still can't load any CDVD plugin, including the bundled Gigaherz one. I can settle with this for now though if I can get a solution so that I can play games directly from the drive that would be great. Thanks again. Smile
It's better to play it from image.
Did you check taskmanager?
(04-19-2012, 05:11 PM)vsub Wrote: It's better to play it from image.
Did you check taskmanager?

I have tried ending the task a few times as well as restarting the PC. I might load it onto the laptop and see if it works on there. I can settle with this for now though it's just the time it takes to rip an image and the space the larger games take up, 2-3 or more GB each, but I guess it's not the end of the world Tongue. Thanks to all.

As for the original problem with the ISO it appears that while I had the .cue file selected it still wanted to use the plugin for some reason.
(04-19-2012, 05:08 PM)Yorke-88 Wrote: The program I used to make the ISO image, decided to make it as a "file" without an extension. I just put .iso at the end of it and now it works. I wiped the plugins clean and reinstalled and the ISO now works (probably would have in the first place as it turns out), however I still can't load any CDVD plugin, including the bundled Gigaherz one. I can settle with this for now though if I can get a solution so that I can play games directly from the drive that would be great. Thanks again. Smile

glad it's working+^_^+ but next time use ImgBurn to rip your .ISOs, it's recommended by the PCSX2 devs and is one sure way of making sure you don't get bad rips (providing your disc isn't scratched+^_^+)
Signature purposefully left blank.
Like Tikka said, Imgburn is one of the few programs that automatically makes the best settings for your image, so it's close to or is actually a 1 on 1 copy. Also not to mention, that to run a game from the image instead of the drive is kinda logical, mainly since the access time from a hard drive is way faster then from a dvd-rom drive, not to mention, that it'll spare your disc that way if you ever want to play the game again on your playstation 2 Smile
Thanks everyone. As of now I am using ImgBurn and am just going to settle for the ISO's. Though out of curiosity I installed PCSX2 on the laptop (also 64-bit I think) and none of the CDVD drivers workes on that either. That is an ASUS with an Intel Core 2, just about the only thing in common is 64-bit Windows 7. I'm wondering if anyone else on 64-bit has had any problems. I'm fairly sure it worked on this PC when I had 32-bit.