HM55 Chipset Question
The new laptop I'm getting for Xmas has an Intel HM55 for a motherboard and I'm going to be using a 500GB 7200rpm HDD. I was wondering because I can't find out online or I've missed it somewhere but is the motherboard capable of accepting a 2nd hard drive because If yes then I was thinking of getting a small SSD for the OS.

I'm still looking around online but just if somebody knows then thanks!

I've read that the HM55 has 4 SATA ports, do SSDs use SATA ports?

EDIT: Heck I just noticed I put this in general discussion, D'oh!
<REDACTED>

Sponsored links

(11-07-2010, 10:53 PM)Fezzer Wrote: The new laptop I'm getting for Xmas has an Intel HM55 for a motherboard and I'm going to be using a 500GB 7200rpm HDD. I was wondering because I can't find out online or I've missed it somewhere but is the motherboard capable of accepting a 2nd hard drive because If yes then I was thinking of getting a small SSD for the OS.

I'm still looking around online but just if somebody knows then thanks!

I've read that the HM55 has 4 SATA ports, do SSDs use SATA ports?

EDIT: Heck I just noticed I put this in general discussion, D'oh!

Yes, most SSDs use SATA ports but whether you can install a secondary drive depends on the laptop design. Even if the chipset is able to support 4 SATA devices, it doesn't necessarily mean the laptop will. You're better off researching the laptop specifications whether it can hold 2 2.5" drives.
Yeah your right, but dam I found this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...202AA9U70W

No way I can tell the guy knows what he's talking about and it's Yahoo answers but if hes right I would not want to give up the DVD drive so tough luck I guess.
<REDACTED>
90% of the time if a laptop doesn't come with a dual HDD configuration preinstalled, it doesn't support one.
Specs in Profile