Hardware mode Mipmaps and Post Processing effects
I saw that there is a new version of GSDX in development. I now that the developers said that implementing those features in hardware mode would require a total rewrite. Does it mean that those features will be implemented? It would really help games like ratchat and jak series, metal gear solid 3, okami and much more.

BTW: Non related, but at what framerate the ratchet and clank games run on a real ps2? locked 60? locked 30? variable 60? variable 30?

Sponsored links

The Mipmapping might be implemented in the future, but it's a huge job for little gain, so not a priority. The post processing stuff for MGS3 etc is more likely as this affects many games and as far as im aware, easier to implement. But again, it's lower on the list as it is still a bigger job and not in current scope.

I believe Ratchet is 30fps interlaced, so 60 updates per second, but only 30 full frames.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(08-04-2015, 10:09 AM)refraction Wrote: The Mipmapping might be implemented in the future, but it's a huge job for little gain, so not a priority.  The post processing stuff for MGS3 etc is more likely as this affects many games and as far as im aware, easier to implement. But again, it's lower on the list as it is still a bigger job and not in current scope.

I believe Ratchet is 30fps interlaced, so 60 updates per second, but only 30 full frames.

I just played Up your arsenal on software mode, with only 3 extra threads and no other speed hacks and while I gained full speed, I noticed that is actually runs at 60 fps but drops frequently, and i don't know if that's because of the emulator itself.
BTW, why implementing those features are at low priority? I'm sure that many people would love to play those games in hardware mode without all the bugs especially when many other games works very good on hardware mode. Are there things that are more important? Or is it becuase it's so hard to implement?
its a heck of a lot of work to implement, essentially rewriting most of GSDX to fix it, which is why it's low priority.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(08-04-2015, 10:09 AM)refraction Wrote: I believe Ratchet is 30fps interlaced, so 60 updates per second, but only 30 full frames.

I played original Ratchet and Clank just some time ago, it was 50 FPS (PAL) at least to my eye. I dont just know whats exactly the difference between 30 interlaced and 60 so I cant say for sure.

The only PS2 ratchet that I know that doesnt run at 50/60 is Size Matters.
Excl Note to self: learn to write shorter posts
(08-04-2015, 03:28 PM)Thewonderboy Wrote: I played original Ratchet and Clank just some time ago, it was 50 FPS (PAL) at least to my eye. I dont just know whats exactly the difference between 30 interlaced and 60 so I cant say for sure.

The only PS2 ratchet that I know that doesnt run at 50/60 is Size Matters.

the frame rate is constant 50fps or with drops?
(08-04-2015, 03:38 PM)Assassin47 Wrote: the frame rate is constant 50fps or with drops?

Constant.

When I emulated R&C3 I used EE Cycle stealing at 1 and remember it caused choppy performance (meaning, real frame drops) because as far as I know, its sort of a "underclock" option for the virtual PS2. I guess thats probably why you experience framedrops.
Excl Note to self: learn to write shorter posts
Ratchet and Clank supports progressive scan at 60 fps. At least 2 and 3 do.
I want to play too ratchet and clank and i wish to implement soon those mipmaps in gsdx. Maybe we can do a poll and see how many people want this feature.
CPU:intel core i5 2430m
GPU:nvidia GeForce GT 520M 1GB
RAM:4 GB
(08-04-2015, 04:44 PM)theodore7 Wrote: I want to play too ratchet and clank and i wish to implement soon those mipmaps in gsdx. Maybe we can do a poll and see how many people want this feature.

Completely useless.
We already know many people want it.

And it would have been already implemented it it hadn't been a nightmare to code.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go