Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have this ever happened to you? True story!
So I decided to do a serious hardware upgrade on my gaming rig where I changed RAM, GPU and CPU

I replaced the old RAM with Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory - Check!

I replaced the old XFX Geforce 9800GT 512mb GDDR3 with the Gigabyte Geforce GTX460 1gb OC GDDR5 - Check!

Then for the last replacement, the CPU
I replaced my old Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8ghz 3mb L2 cache socket type 775 with my brand new Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0ghz 12mb L2 cache socket type 775................FAILED
That would have been the case if Intel hadn't screwed up and package it with a wrong CPU.

In the package they have put in a XEON Core 2 Quad E5540 2.53ghz 8mb L3 cache socket type 1366, box and manual correct where CPU was totally wrong.

I didn't noticed anything until installation, mainly because it didn't fit, I was so mad and frustrated, how can a big company like this do something this wrong, I mean the company here in Sweden that I bought everything from doesn't even sell XEON processors to begin with.

Hopefully I will get an replacement soon with a "correct" CPU in the package, but it's so annoying there it lies on the desk, the new Star Wars Force Unleashed 2.
Maybe, maybe in a galaxy far far away I will be able to play it some day....

Sponsored links

Where did you get your parts from?

You should order from newegg, I've never heard of this happening with them.

edit: Ah I see you're in Sweden. Nevermind.
i5 520m :: ATI 5650 (700, 900) :: Samsun 830 128GB SSD:: 8GB (2x4GB) RAM
Hi Hungry Man

Thanks for the tip, I usually use NewEgg.com for checking things up before I buy them. (If I would have lived in the States, NewEgg would have been my no. 1 place to buy)

In Sweden here we got several decent resellers like Dustin.se, Webhallen.se, PCGaming.se for genuine quality computer parts.

I think this could happen to anyone, it's a fault from Intels factories.
They probaly is over stressed or something, but then again I don't think I have heard others been exposed to the same issue.

But I have specificly ordered Webhallen to check the replacement package so I'll get the correct one this time.
Don't tell them anything.
It's not core 2 quad.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
The Xeon is worth a lot more.
Sell it along with the ram and use the money to get an i5 + sli capable mobo, ddr3 ram and another GTX460 if you can make that much.
It is new but just in a wrong package so you should be able to get most of its worth.
[Image: 1454055.png]
(10-30-2010, 12:49 PM)ChronicNL Wrote: Don't tell them anything.
It's not core 2 quad.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
The Xeon is worth a lot more.
Sell it along with the ram and use the money to get an i5 + sli capable mobo, ddr3 ram and another GTX460 if you can make that much.
It is new but just in a wrong package so you should be able to get most of its worth.

I see your point there ChronicNL *looks at the price for the Xeon*, but I like to think that honesty pays off in the end, my conscience tell me not to.

I like my current setup, I have an NZXT M59 chassi with an MSI P43-C51 mobo with an easy OC switch. With the old E7400 processor I could OC it from 2.8ghz to 3.5ghz on air
Hopefully I will take the Q9650 baby a little higher then that.

I'll probably sell the other components once I get everything up and running without hitches, or I just keep them for spare.

I have a Q9650 and the memory controller on my board bottoms out when I try and push it past around 3.6, not sure how good the P43 one is but I would imagine any would start having difficulty running 4 modules with a high FSB overclock.
Specs in Profile
this all depends on how compatible those Kingston HyperX memories are.
If he wants to OC his rig he will have to up the voltage a lot on the northbridge at higher fsb's (i.e. 444) because it has to manage 4 x 2GB in dual channel.
For example at 444 fsb i need like 1.70 voltage on my NB this minus the VDrop -> 1.60 V real and it manages 2 x 1GB Team Extreem + 2 x 2GB Corsair Dominator @ 1066 MHZ. But my NB is a X48 so the values should be a bit different for P43.

L.E: Did some research on that board you have, are you sure about putting a Quad that big on that mobo ? i'm saying this because as far as i know putting a quad (let alone overclocking it) on a mobo that doesn't have any VRM cooling is not such a good idea also that O.C switch only changes FSB which for a processor like the E7400 worked but it might not work as you think with the Q9650.
True overclocking is the one you do in the bios not with jumpers and switches.
Also i had a MSI P45 Platinum which couldn't reach even 400 FSB stable ( it had oc jumpers like your switch )

Thanks for your replies guys.

Well I got my replacement Q9650 with the right CPU in the package this week and well the stock cooler and heatsink that Intel provided were pure crap, the motherboard holders on it broke making it go from 45 degrees idle to 95 degrees on max load this was on default 3.0ghz

I bought an Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro rev.2 which gives 33 degrees idle and 48-55 on max load on 3.0ghz

The bad news is that I can't change the switch to 400fsb as I intended to do, the system wouldn't even boot, so I set the switch to default, 3.0ghz (333 x 9). It's ok and I'm happy with it. The rig is up and running now perfectly, thank god and I can play everything perfect.

I have changed everything except motherboard and chassi, had to get an new PSU also, an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W instead of the old 500W crap wich was no good with this new setup.
Well im glad its a happy end Smile

GPU is more important for gaming then processor.