Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heavy frame rate drops
Hello

I need a little help. I experience big frame rate drops in games, though my computer is kinda powerful. My specs:
CPU i7-7500U (Dual core)
RAM 16 Gb
GPU NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB
Win10 Home

I use the latest PCSX2 1.4.0

I started playing Dynasty Warriors 3 and for a few days it ran smooth. Then it started to lag and it's getting worse. I know this game sometimes gets laggy, but only for a few secs, but for me it lasts way longer even when there are barely any enemy on the screen. The fps can drop to 50%.

I also tried Burnout 2 and it also produces a little frame drop to 80% but it's annoying in a Burnout type game.

But the worst I've tried is the NBA Street Vol 2. I start the training made and a frame rate immediately drops to 10 fps.

I haven't tried other games yet.

My default settings are:
Emulation setting Preset 1
Video plugin:
Renderer D3D11 Hardware
Internal res 3x
and nothing else touched.

I tried different solutions but nothing really worked though the frame rate drop varies. But the NBA always performs around 10 fps.
I tried to set the preset to 2. Tried to change the res to Native. Tried every renderer mode.

My guess the problem is not in my hardware because the frame drops happen even when there is not much going on in the game and on Native res but can run smooth on 3x res with a lot of happening on the screen. Also the cpu never used more then 60%. I may missed some settings or misunderstood something and made wrong selections.

Please help me so I can enjoy those classics again!

Sponsored links

Try setting the power plan to High Performance and btw,on nvidia gpu,it's better to use OpenGL from GSdx
(02-22-2017, 02:08 AM)vsub Wrote: Try setting the power plan to High Performance and btw,on nvidia gpu,it's better to use OpenGL from GSdx

Thanks for the suggestions! OpenGL helped a little in NBA as it now only drops to 50% FPS. But DW3 and Burnout2 are the same 70-80% FPS. Resolution is Native. I also changed the Performance settings but it didn't affect anything. Anymore idea? I see configs worse than mine in signatures and also the emulator itself is 10 years old, so a brand new computer should run everything without lag. Or am I wrong?
Quote:and also the emulator itself is 10 years old, so a brand new computer should run everything without lag. Or am I wrong?
about this, you are wrong.
As time passes, the emulator becomes more and more accurate, and requires more raw power
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go
(02-23-2017, 12:08 AM)jesalvein Wrote: about this, you are wrong.
As time passes, the emulator becomes more and more accurate, and requires more raw power

Oh, that's new. My guess was a 16 years old machine can be easily emulated on a better computer nowadays. I know PS2 has a different architecture which requires more power to simulate for a computer, but I wouldn't thought it requires MORE as time passes by.
Still, dual core i7 @2.7-3.5 GHz with 16 Gb RAM and 2Gb GPU should be enough. PCSX doesn't even use all the resources I have as the processors only run around 60% even when the game lags. So I think I might have some software or settings problem.
You might want to enable recommended speedhacks, even MTVU.
But since you only have a dual core, can't guarantee it'll be better.

Now it depends on what the emulator aims at. Just running as many games as it can, or emulate accurately the original hardware ?
Its like comparing epsxe to xebra or zsnes to higan.

I'll let you guess which path pcsx2 took...
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go
(02-23-2017, 12:32 AM)gam87 Wrote: Oh, that's new. My guess was a 16 years old machine can be easily emulated on a better computer nowadays. I know PS2 has a different architecture which requires more power to simulate for a computer, but I wouldn't thought it requires MORE as time passes by.
Still, dual core i7 @2.7-3.5 GHz with 16 Gb RAM and 2Gb GPU should be enough. PCSX doesn't even use all the resources I have as the processors only run around 60% even when the game lags. So I think I might have some software or settings problem.

It only needs more power when they increase the emulation accuracy.
#StopRNG
(02-23-2017, 12:57 AM)jesalvein Wrote: You might want to enable recommended speedhacks, even MTVU.
But since you only have a dual core, can't guarantee it'll be better.

Now it depends on what the emulator aims at. Just running as many games as it can, or emulate accurately the original hardware ?
Its like comparing epsxe to xebra or zsnes to higan.

I'll let you guess which path pcsx2 took...

MTVU makes this game freeze. I dig the wiki and the forum. I tried every suggested settings I found. Speedhacks, MSAA, EE cycling... I also found a list of 'demanding games' containing the NBA Street Vol 2. but also later Burnouts, but yet again, those run smooth without any issues. The lag in DW3 and B2 gone with OpenGL and with Emulator preset 2. It just really disturbing that for example on the wiki the game was tested as playable on a dual core system with same clock speed as mine and with a so much weaker gpu. But in my case FPS can't be better then 50% (30 FPS).

Thanks for the explanation for you and @dogen about emulators. Now I understand it more how it works, though I had to Google what is the xebra and higan (I knew about the other 2).

But I'm still waiting more ideas how can make this particular game work?
You also have to remember something about the wiki. Those are several months if not years old, and they are not tested to the current version, Lets say a post is 5 years old, a Phenom II 965 x4 with 8 gigs of ram and a AMD HD radeon 6770 could run most games fine. Now my specs can barely play the games, I'm happy you got dynasty warriors to full speed, but NBA street.. Is another story. It loads unpredictably from what i can tell. I have Vol 3 perfect condition but my ps2 can barely load it 75% of the time. (broken disc reader so running it off internal harddrive through OPL) Are you running games by selecting them as ISO in pcsx2 or loading them through either daemon tools or the windows virtual drive manager. which i have noticed some games will work better through.
[Image: dy6224-5.png]
(02-25-2017, 12:32 AM)rikimaruaxu Wrote: You also have to remember something about the wiki. Those are several months if not years old, and they are not tested to the current version, Lets say a post is 5 years old, a Phenom II 965 x4 with 8 gigs of ram and a AMD HD radeon 6770 could run most games fine. Now my specs can barely play the games, I'm happy you got dynasty warriors to full speed, but NBA street.. Is another story. It loads unpredictably from what i can tell. I have Vol 3 perfect condition but my ps2 can barely load it 75% of the time. (broken disc reader so running it off internal harddrive through OPL) Are you running games by selecting them as ISO in pcsx2 or loading them through either daemon tools or the windows virtual drive manager. which i have noticed some games will work better through.

I select the ISO in PCSX2. I will try to run it from the windows image drive, thanks.

So if my thinking is right, but tell me if it isn't, if I download an older PCSX2 (eg what was used at the time of testing) it maybe can run smoother the game? I understand there may be graphical errors but in theory is it a possible solution? Or these new hardwares and drivers may cause the same or worse problems as the old emulator wasn't prepared for it? Also, if have more PCSX2 at the same time, do they overwrite each other's important files like plugins etc?