[Help] Random rebootings occuring whilst playing
Hi guys (: !

I have one problem you are probably able to help me with, and I thanks you for that.

Whilst playing some games with pcsx2, my computer will suddenly reboots as if we just did unplug / replug electricity or something like that. On more rare occasions it will just freeze, making an unbearable and loud noise until I hard-reboot it myself. I've already googled about that issue, made some researches and used my own knowledges but I couldn't find a solution. Here are some facts that might help.

- It seems to only occur whilst playing certain games. Not all the games I play make my computer crash this way. The last one is FFXII.

- None of my components are overheating.

- I ran a memcheck... Twice. Everything's fine.

- I ran a diskcheck as well, just in case, everything's fine.

- My power supply is powerful enough even for a high usage of my hardware.

- It only happens with pcsx2. No other applications I use force my computer to crash or suddenly reboot.

- It happens in all screen modes.

- I can run most of my games at a smooth and stable 50-60 fps depending on the region. I disabled most of the speedhacks except the recommanded ones.

Thanks for any given help or hints.

Sponsored links

Random reboots and blue screens etc are only caused by hardware problems (or inherent operating system issues) so there has to be a problem there somewhere.

what sort of temperatures do your cpu and gpu reach while playing FFXII?
Is anything in your system overclocked? even from factory?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sounds like an unstable CPU to me.

As refraction said, any overclock?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-05-2013, 08:54 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Sounds like an unstable CPU to me.

As refraction said, any overclock?

That or the cpu is drawing too much power and the psu can handle it.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
No CPU nor GPU overclocking.

CPU and GPU never exceed 55°~

I came to ask here because it only happens with pcsx2 and certain PS2 games. For exemple wild arms 4 doesn't suffer from such behavior whilst FF12 does.

edit : I'm glad you are helping me (: . Thanks.
Try the latest SVN from here:

http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

The reason it happens with PCSX2 is because PCSX2 stresses the CPU a lot more than most things. Some less demanding games might not stress it so much.

PCSX2 does not cause random reboots, if it did, we'd have tons of threads like this. It almost certainly has to be a hardware problem that is just showing up because PCSX2 is pushing the CPU.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-05-2013, 09:09 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Try the latest SVN from here:

http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

The reason it happens with PCSX2 is because PCSX2 stresses the CPU a lot more than most things. Some less demanding games might not stress it so much.

PCSX2 does not cause random reboots, if it did, we'd have tons of threads like this. It almost certainly has to be a hardware problem that is just showing up because PCSX2 is pushing the CPU.
Couldn't you use CPU-Z to check the cpu voltage and then compare that to what it should be.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Oh, one last thing, this behavior never occured before 1.0 release. So maybe switching to a more recent revision would fix it up. Either that or I'll try to see what's wrong with my CPU ): .

Thanks a lot for the time you spent helping me.
just out of curiosity. what did you use to check your cpu and gpu temp? Thanks Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Erm that would require me to browse my messy "everything that you download is here" folder. But to be sure of the results I used 3 or 4 different applications which all provided the same results. There were the recommanded ones on many websites. If it's really that important I can check it up, but I'm really sure that my computer isn't overheating.

edit : However, I'm pretty sure that I used Everest and CPUID.