Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Upgrading a Desktop
I have a fairly old desktop, but I plan on upgrading some parts of it so that pcsx2 runs better. Right now, it doesn't run very well. Usually in the 30-40 FPS range. I got a video card for it, and it seemed to improve a little, but it's still pretty slow. I could use some recommendations of what I should upgrade first. Here is what is currently installed on my computer.

Video card: ATI Radeon HD x1300

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+

RAM: 1 gig (Though, I use Ready Boost on a flashdrive, which supposedly gives me around two extra gigs.)

All help is appreciated.

Edit: My desktop is an Acer Aspire T180.

Sponsored links

Upgrading the cpu won't do any good since you have an old system unless you have socket am3 then upgrade to a phenom 2 atleast. If you have pci express 2.0 I would try to get a better video card.
(12-24-2012, 08:55 PM)Princeatom Wrote: Upgrading the cpu won't do any good since you have an old system unless you have socket am3 then upgrade to a phenom 2 atleast. If you have pci express 2.0 I would try to get a better video card.

I've been trying to find out what kind of cpu socket my computer has, because I don't really know how old it is. Say I could find a cpu that would fit my computer. Would it be a good idea to get a new one?
(12-24-2012, 09:03 PM)shelb105 Wrote: I've been trying to find out what kind of cpu socket my computer has, because I don't really know how old it is. Say I could find a cpu that would fit my computer. Would it be a good idea to get a new one?

Depends on the socket you have. If you have an old AM2 socket then most of the cpu's sold for that socket would be discontinued. So you won't have any choices but to buy used cpu's. An easy way to check your cpu socket is to google your motherboard. Just look around your motherboard (Usually in the middle of the Motherboard) for a parts name or whatever.
(12-24-2012, 09:11 PM)Princeatom Wrote: Depends on the socket you have. If you have an old AM2 socket then most of the cpu's sold for that socket would be discontinued. So you won't have any choices but to buy used cpu's. An easy way to check your cpu socket is to google your motherboard. Just look around your motherboard (Usually in the middle of the Motherboard) for a parts name or whatever.

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks.
It's probably an AM2 board.
It would be a good idea to have at least an AM3 mobo before you go spending money.

GPU should work,
but is old and weaker, so it can cause occasional slow-down.
A more modern card is advised.
Something at least DirectX 10 capable,
with no less than a 128-bit memory bus and a DDR3 data rate.
Its AM2. Latest BIOS is older than AM3 and couldn't find any list of supported CPUs.
downside of main brand pc's is that you can upgrade it a little, but don't expect wonders, you'll be losing a bit more money, but if you choose seperate loose components, you can have more space to upgrade then with an A brand PC Smile
There really is nothing worth upgrading, your PC is outdated for all intents and purposes.
If PCSX2 is your only requirement, you could easily get away with 400-500$ for a new machine.
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Enermax Triathlor 450W PSU