Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help a newbie out. CPU Overclocking.
So my CPU is starting to be a bit old and im planning to get a new one after newyears, so i thought i'd get the most off it while i still can.

Only problem is i have never overclocked anything except my old GPU and that was with the easy-to-use tool that came with the driver CD.

I have an Intel C2D E6850 running at 3.0Ghz.
Mobo: EVGA nForce 680i SLI
PSUOhmyCZ 850W
So what im asking is:
The best and safest way to do the overclocking?
How high you think i could go without doing any noticeable damage?
Anyone have any experience overclocking this particular CPU?
A good benchmarking/stress test tool to make sure it's working properly after overclocking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored links

(12-12-2010, 12:15 AM)Haips Wrote: The best and safest way to do the overclocking?
Through your BIOS. Make sure you monitor your temps and take it slow, little bits at a time.

(12-12-2010, 12:15 AM)Haips Wrote: Anyone have any experience overclocking this particular CPU?
Not personally, but how about this?

(12-12-2010, 12:15 AM)Haips Wrote: A good benchmarking/stress test tool to make sure it's working properly after overclocking.
As with most people, I would probably say Prime95 is a solid choice.
(12-12-2010, 12:15 AM)Haips Wrote: So my CPU is starting to be a bit old and im planning to get a new one after newyears, so i thought i'd get the most off it while i still can.

Only problem is i have never overclocked anything except my old GPU and that was with the easy-to-use tool that came with the driver CD.

I have an Intel C2D E6850 running at 3.0Ghz.
Mobo: EVGA nForce 680i SLI
PSUOhmyCZ 850W
So what im asking is:
The best and safest way to do the overclocking?
How high you think i could go without doing any noticeable damage?
Anyone have any experience overclocking this particular CPU?
A good benchmarking/stress test tool to make sure it's working properly after overclocking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

over clocking in bios is the safest

never overvolt a cpu as it will more than likely fry it

make sure you have a good cpu fan or cooling device
use a program called speed fan too check cpu temps

if it goes over 60c then it getting too hot

when overclocking use your fsb too higher the cpu clock
go up 1mhz at a time untill your satisfied or your computer crashes
if you computer crashes that is okay it just means you have too lower the fsb
if you dont see a picture on the computer screen after a crash then take out the battery thats in the motherboard *it looks like a watch batter and is the sze and shape of a quater and is crhome*
when you take that out make sure your computer is unpluged and leave the batter out for 20 seconds then place it back in and that should reset everything in the bios and you will see a picture on the screen again
long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.
Well i ended up using the nVidia system perfomance tool cause i couldnt make heads or tails from the BIOS menus, for some reason i could only adjust the voltages and PCI-E bus speeds, CPU and FSB options were grayed out.

Well here are my results:
[Image: acbnya.jpg]

After a good 40 minutes of stress testing the tempatures stayed well below 60 Celcius, so i might take it up a notch after i've done some more testing.

EDIT1: After awhile, i got an error from Prime saying
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt

What does that mean exactly?

EDIT2: Someone told me that upping the Vcore voltage would help to make it more stable, so i raised it from 1.380 to 1.425, seems to run more stable now, CPU tempature holding at 67-68c under full load which is under the safe limit from what i hear...

So the summary so far:
FSB Speed: 380MHz
Core Clock Speed: 3420.1MHz
FSB Rating: 1520.2MHz
Temp: Idle/light use 37-42°C, Full Load 15min 67-68°C

I'm reasonably happy with these result.
Any thoughts, comments?
(12-12-2010, 11:04 AM)Haips Wrote: Well i ended up using the nVidia system perfomance tool cause i couldnt make heads or tails from the BIOS menus, for some reason i could only adjust the voltages and PCI-E bus speeds, CPU and FSB options were grayed out.

Well here are my results:
[Image: acbnya.jpg]

If FSB and CPU options were grayed out in that programme, how did you overclock?
Also BIOS overclocking IS better, because you MUST adjust your RAM settings, because Overclocking the FSB (for CPU clock) also overclocks the RAM.
Read some guides about the settings you need to adjust.

(12-12-2010, 11:04 AM)Haips Wrote: EDIT1: After awhile, i got an error from Prime saying
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt

What does that mean exactly?

Simple, too much overclocking. Either increase voltage to keep the current clock or go down a few MHz.

(12-12-2010, 11:04 AM)Haips Wrote: EDIT2: Someone told me that upping the Vcore voltage would help to make it more stable, so i raised it from 1.380 to 1.425, seems to run more stable now, CPU tempature holding at 67-68c under full load which is under the safe limit from what i hear...

That someone is right. 67-68 is a tad much, I would not expose the CPU to such high temperatures all the time. Buy a better cooler or reduce voltage and clock a little.

Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Enermax Triathlor 450W PSU
(12-12-2010, 04:23 PM)SamSoNight Wrote: That someone is right. 67-68 is a tad much, I would not expose the CPU to such high temperatures all the time. Buy a better cooler or reduce voltage and clock a little.

Those temperatures are really safe Smile

PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
(12-12-2010, 04:23 PM)SamSoNight Wrote: If FSB and CPU options were grayed out in that programme, how did you overclock?
Also BIOS overclocking IS better, because you MUST adjust your RAM settings, because Overclocking the FSB (for CPU clock) also overclocks the RAM.
Read some guides about the settings you need to adjust.

The options were grayed out in the BIOS, but with the nVidia System Performance tool i was able to change them.

(12-12-2010, 04:23 PM)SamSoNight Wrote: Simple, too much overclocking. Either increase voltage to keep the current clock or go down a few MHz.

That someone is right. 67-68 is a tad much, I would not expose the CPU to such high temperatures all the time. Buy a better cooler or reduce voltage and clock a little.

I checked it with Intel support, they said that the safe tempature limit for this chip is 72, and after some more testing (and a quick dust cleanup later) the temps are now around 64-66 under full load.