Help me build a system
i've got my eye on this CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103674
will this be sufficient for most games?

i could use some help picking out a videocard (with hdmi output / preferrably 2) a compatible motherboard and a recommended amount of DDR3 Ram

thanks Laugh

Sponsored links

well first off how much are you willing to pay because there's a million possibilities depending on how much your willing to pay...
RAWR means i love you in Dinosaur.
i'm looking to pay ~100$ for a mobo, ~100 for a video card and whatever 4gb of good ddr3 ram costs

i'm looking to spend not much more than i have to for a system that plays PS2 games. if i bought a new system that doesnt play PS2/GBC games i would be depressed
(01-28-2010, 07:09 AM)nicknameeazye Wrote: if i bought a new system that doesnt play PS2/GBC games i would be depressed

Game Boy Colour?
Anyway, that CPU should be good enough to run pretty much all games at full speed, or at least playable speeds. If you have the money, you would probably be better off getting an Intel CPU since they run better with the more advanced instruction sets and whatnot (different CPUs will have even better benefits). Also just a note, PCSX2 only uses 2 cores.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
lmao i meant to say GC (gamecube)

i need a quadcore for highdef video rendering
(01-28-2010, 07:32 AM)Larfin_Man Wrote:
(01-28-2010, 07:09 AM)nicknameeazye Wrote: if i bought a new system that doesnt play PS2/GBC games i would be depressed

Game Boy Colour?
Anyway, that CPU should be good enough to run pretty much all games at full speed, or at least playable speeds. If you have the money, you would probably be better off getting an Intel CPU since they run better with the more advanced instruction sets and whatnot (different CPUs will have even better benefits). Also just a note, PCSX2 only uses 2 cores.
Well, AMD cpu is not that bad. I just bought an athlon 245 (dual core)and oc'ed from 2.9 to 3.6ghz. It costed me only $62 including shipping($10).
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
i've heard AMD is easier on price, intel is better for high-end stuff

i'm gonna pick up one of these mobo's http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...srchInDesc=
Just the same with CKL went from a e7200 INtel prcessor to AMD Athlon II x2 240 at 3.55 Ghz. The extra speed came in handy.
[Image: Sig3copy.gif]
(01-28-2010, 09:35 AM)Syberproxy Wrote: Just the same with CKL went from a e7200 INtel prcessor to AMD Athlon II x2 240 at 3.55 Ghz. The extra speed came in handy.

actually, you could just easily overclock the 7200 to 3,5 GHz, which would be a lot faster than 3,55 GHz of the Athlon II. the e7200 is capable of reaching 4,2 GHz on a good air cooler and a sufficient mobo.

even now the Athlon II 3,55 GHz isn't that much faster than the e7200 on stock, I'd say it's about as fast, as a C2D 3,0-3,2 GHz.

OP, for most games you'll need about 3,2-3,5 GHz (that's C2D GHzs, with AMD you'd need about 3,4-3,8 GHz). most C2Ds from 2,4 to 2,8 range should overclock to 3,5 GHz without a hitch. you said you need a quad core though, that's going to be hard with the Phenom, since it doesn't overclock well, and 3,2 GHz isn't that good. you'll run a modest amount of games nicely, but some of the tougher players (Tekken, Xenosaga, God of War etc.) won't be playing nicely. are you on a tight budget? if not, just add 30 bucks and buy an i5 2,66. it'll overclock even to 4 GHz if you want, and besides extreme video rendering prowess (much, much better than Phenom's) you'll get unsurpassed performance in pcsx2. even without overclocking it'll be very nice (still, God of War will want that overclock ;).

my proposition:

i5-750 - $199

MSI P55-GD65 - $160 (I know it's MSI, but supposedly it's fantastic, it's getting great reviews)

nVidia 9800 GT for $100 or GTS 250 for $150

Xigmatek Thor's Hammer (cooler) - $60 - this one's neccessary if you want to get nice, cool and quiet 4 GHz (not necessarily Thor's Hammer, you could also find something cheaper, I'm just listing what I know works ;), but you can postpone this purchase till later.

Corsair XMS3 2x2 GB - $100 (you could also buy non-i5/i7 version for $80, it's just a little worse)

all in all $620. a bit much just for pcsx2 performance, but you won't get that from that Phenom. you could get much, much cheaper with a C2D or even Athlon II (and of course, overclock it extensively), but you say you need a quad... so, here's a quad for pcsx2. you could also go for older quads like Q8400 for $170 (and mobo for $100, so that's $540 for the whole package), but they don't overclock that elegantly, generate more heat and consume more power.
Split your lungs with blood and thunder when you see the white whale.
(01-28-2010, 12:36 PM)idn Wrote:
(01-28-2010, 09:35 AM)Syberproxy Wrote: Just the same with CKL went from a e7200 INtel prcessor to AMD Athlon II x2 240 at 3.55 Ghz. The extra speed came in handy.

actually, you could just easily overclock the 7200 to 3,5 GHz, which would be a lot faster than 3,55 GHz of the Athlon II. the e7200 is capable of reaching 4,2 GHz on a good air cooler and a sufficient mobo.

even now the Athlon II 3,55 GHz isn't that much faster than the e7200 on stock, I'd say it's about as fast, as a C2D 3,0-3,2 GHz.

OP, for most games you'll need about 3,2-3,5 GHz (that's C2D GHzs, with AMD you'd need about 3,4-3,8 GHz). most C2Ds from 2,4 to 2,8 range should overclock to 3,5 GHz without a hitch. you said you need a quad core though, that's going to be hard with the Phenom, since it doesn't overclock well, and 3,2 GHz isn't that good. you'll run a modest amount of games nicely, but some of the tougher players (Tekken, Xenosaga, God of War etc.) won't be playing nicely. are you on a tight budget? if not, just add 30 bucks and buy an i5 2,66. it'll overclock even to 4 GHz if you want, and besides extreme video rendering prowess (much, much better than Phenom's) you'll get unsurpassed performance in pcsx2. even without overclocking it'll be very nice (still, God of War will want that overclock Wink.

Sorry but i dont really buy your C2D 3.2 = AMD 3.4. That may be true to older architecture but as far as Athlon II goes a C2D Ghz is right now just the same as a AMD one. I repeat a C2D not a i5 or i7 architecture. if you were talking about the new ones then you are just about right.

Well the Problem with Intel MoBo is that it has a limit of 1333 Mhz FSB on my board while this cheap 740G has none.
[Image: Sig3copy.gif]