Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Help me to Clone my Failing Hardrive
Mellow anybody here can help me recover my files drive is still accessible and I can still copy files but at .5 to .6 Mbps copying speed so anybody here know of way start cloning now where I can stop and continue it later its 500GB worth of DATA at speed .5 to .6 mbps it will take me about 96hours using acronis or Ghost already tried running it full 24H and all I got is 68gb worth of DATA anybody can help me
My New PC
[Image: 1714419.png]
[Image: stargate_sg_1_stamp_by_OmegaDreamSeeker11.jpg]

Sponsored links

I use a program called fastcopy (http://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en), it can do crc verify you can also pause resume / slow it down..etc
Intel Core I7 930@3.5GHz(TB, HT), 6GB DDR3@1600MHz, Geforce 970 G1
your drive is running in PIO due to excesive UDMA errors, change the SATA cable and uninstall the SATA driver then reinstall it to reset it to UDMA
Squall:
no its not and as I said tried on DOS versions of Acronis and Ghost [forgot to say it was DOS versions up there] and said drive has a smart status BAD warning upon boot
hyakki:
I was not talking about pause and resume I am talking about is something like shutdown my PC now and then resume where it remembers the last sector it was reading and continue on from there again without the need start it all up from the beginning I heard that it was possible ubuntu just wishing there was a windows or DOS based program that has similar features
My New PC
Quote: no its not and as I said tried on DOS versions of Acronis and Ghost [forgot to say it was DOS versions up there] and said drive has a smart status BAD warning upon boot

use a tool that can actually display the C7 value
I sticking with PIO/UDMA errors
(06-19-2012, 01:50 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: use a tool that can actually display the C7 value
I sticking with PIO/UDMA errors

Here believe me now that its not PIO/UDMA error when I said It was Hardrive failure I meant it
[Image: 8528603.jpg]

the most annoying thing was this happened without warning an Hour before that the very same drive had Smart status good on it then I opened a file to do some editing and it said file was unreadable so I did a checkdisk after two hours and a lot of errors and finishing the check I shut it down then morning came and Viola drive was smart status bad and slow reading good thing its all just files and not my OS[OS was on a seperate Drive] otherwise I would be screwed and unable to use my PC
My New PC
I'm not aware of any program that can resume backup after a shutdown, (why would you risk shutting down a failing drive? I would get any data off while you can with whatever works or atleast the most important files.)

Sometimes turning the drive upside down can help it read better.

Bad ram and bad cables can cause smart to report false events to you might want to make sure nothing is overclocked on your system, though if it was working fine before I doubt that's the problem.
Intel Core I7 930@3.5GHz(TB, HT), 6GB DDR3@1600MHz, Geforce 970 G1
that write error rate is massive, what about Raw Read errors?

Hyakki makes a good point, something as little as dry solder could cause this to occur so laying the drive upside down might help.
Believe me I already did that replacing the SATA cables turned it upside down the works but the highest transfer rate I could get is .6 mbps I even tried to put it in a USB docking station didn't change a thing and believe me I am leeching files of it for the last 5hours and all I got is roughly 11-12gigs of data out of 450-460g's worth of files believe me that most of them are very important my daily, weekly and yearly reports are there, list of current customers, list of all Data across several servers, list of most recent back up weve got, the works
I could already see my Supervisors Ugly Mug steaming in anger when he finds we are gonna need a 9000-15000peso worth of Professional Data Recovery Service and I am going Up there now to say it to his face wish me luck
My New PC
put the new drive in then use testdisk from here http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

it came in very handy for me when windows refused to fix the partition tables, you can read off the entire contents of the drive.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!