Help on occasional stuttering...
Hello everyone, I've freshly registered and I'm posting here in the forum in hopes of someone be able to help me out with an issue I've been having with PSCX2.

The issue is: occasionally, I have the emulation stuttering, this includes:
- audio (audio lags for a moment, glitched out (like some sort of slow-motion) just to speed up for around half a second and return back to normal (voices of characters talk WAY FAST when this speed-up happens))
- FPS (because they drop for a moment from 60FPS to ~40)
Other than this, no graphical glitches whatsoever or similar.

I've searched and searched around the PCSX2 configurations, tried multiple ones, and every time get the same end results, about around 3/5/10 minutes of gameplay I get the stuttering.

Tried changing the GSDx PS2 internal resolution from Native to up 3x (the resolution I play with) and it happens in any of those;
Enabling VSYNC does not help;
Tried changing the SPU2-X plugin interpolation between Linear, Cubic and Hermite, module between DirectSound and XAudio 2, synchronizing always TimeStretch, always same result;

In emulation settings: EE/IOP and VUs are defaulted. In GS, frame skipping is disabled (default), framelimiting not in use.
Speedhacks are enabled, except for "fast CDVD" option. Also tried disabling these, but did nothing...
Game fixes not in use.

Other than that... I have absolutely no idea why this happens...
And this happens with all games. The games look great graphically (at 3x resolution), play at constant 60FPS (50FPS if PAL), but why this ocasional stutter happens, is out of my reach...

My specs:

CPU: Intel CORE i7-4720HQ @ 2.60 GHz
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB VRAM DDR3
RAM: 12 GB 1600MHz
(ASUS ROG GL552JX-DM079H)

PCSX2 v1.2.1

Games tested:
- Sonic Unleashed PAL PS2
- The King of Fighters Maximum Impact Regulation A JAP NTSC
(still have to test others...)

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Sponsored links

PLease check cpu clock rates using cpu-z during and before slowdowns.

Quickfix for distorted audio: SPU2-X plugin settings -> Synchronization -> Async Mix (instead of TimeStretch)
(11-02-2015, 02:32 PM)willkuer Wrote: PLease check cpu clock rates using cpu-z during and before slowdowns.

Quickfix for distorted audio: SPU2-X plugin settings -> Synchronization -> Async Mix (instead of TimeStretch)

Check out the video I just posted: http://abelhas.pt/MDashK/Video+02-11-201...28video%29

That first stuttering in the video right after the loading doesn't usually happen that badly, maybe it was because I was recording the video...
But that kind of stutter tends to happen ocasionally mid-gaming, without loadings in-between whatsoever.
You can check that in the 52 second video that stutter happens another 2 times in different moments.
Any news or anyone that can help out?

Still haven't found the reason for the occasional stuttering in-game... In every game... =\
that video you posted clearly shows EE is reaching 100% when the game slows down.
Means your CPu is struggling.

Make sure you aren't running on batteries, and set windows power plan to performance mode.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(11-16-2015, 09:33 AM)jesalvein Wrote: that video you posted clearly shows EE is reaching 100% when the game slows down.
Means your CPu is struggling.

Make sure you aren't running on batteries, and set windows power plan to performance mode.

Well, I find it weird because it only happens sporadicaly, only sometimes, so, if my CPU is struggling, wouldn't it happen constantly?

Also, I always run with power plug and always on maximum performance mode.
Never have any issues playing other games and/or emulators such as GameCube mode on Dolphin or even heavy games like Carmageddon Reicarnation or Resident Evil Revelations 2...

Now, the reason why the EE peaks out sometimes (and highlight that sometimes word) is what I wanted to find out and discover...
dont compare other emulators to pcsx2 and just cause one part of game works fine and smooth dont mean another part of the game will be just as or more or less demanding
(11-17-2015, 03:38 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: dont compare other emulators to pcsx2 and just  cause one part of game works fine and smooth dont mean another part of the game will be just as or more or less demanding

That would make sense, if it would happen in different levels or even mid-loading...

Now, this happening in the same level of the game, no loadings, and you pass in that spot, it does the stuttering and then you go back, pass there again, and everything perfect... It's not consistent... So, it must be something else...

Also, I refered Dolphin's gamecube mode because it's WAY more demanding than PCSX2... I have another ASUS laptop with a GT 625M, and PCSX2 runs OK, but Gamecube doesn't, at all.
Quote:Also, I refered Dolphin's gamecube mode because it's WAY more demanding than PCSX2... I have another ASUS laptop with a GT 625M, and PCSX2 runs OK, but Gamecube doesn't, at all.
in terms of GPU, maybe.
in temrs of CPU, it's most of the time less demanding.
anyways, different console, different emulators, different original hardware. If you don't want to look ridiculous, avoid nonsensical comparisons...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(11-17-2015, 07:21 AM)jesalvein Wrote: in terms of GPU, maybe.
in temrs of CPU, it's most of the time less demanding.
anyways, different console, different emulators, different original hardware. If you don't want to look ridiculous, avoid nonsensical comparisons...

I belive the "ridiculous" comment was unnecessary...
My main point here is to provide as maximum information as possible.
I believe, if you don't have nothing helpful to post or say, if you don't plan on helping out or finding a solution, then say nothing.

I know what I "say" when i say that the emulator and it's emulation is working great at least 99% of the time. Aand these stutters are the other 1%, that for god knows what reason tend to happen randomly in-game...
And this is what I'm trying to figure out, why this happens.