Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with AFS Explorer
Exclamation 
I'm trying to change the BGM of Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja 4. Some of the tracks I insert over the existing ones are bigger so I need to Regenerate the AFS. Unfortunately, I get an error. I've wasted 5 hours on this and no luck. Here's a screenshot with the problem. I really hope some of you could help me out here.

[Image: problemn.th.png]
the disc is not full Angry

It worked with Narutimate Accel 1 and Ultimate Ninja 3. My guess at this state is that something's wrong with the AFS file itself.

Sponsored links

how do you do this? Blink (i'm curious, interested, and eager to extract the audio from my ps2 games Tongue, and sorry for not being ontopic)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
(04-25-2009, 01:57 AM)LuisR14 Wrote: how do you do this? Blink (i'm curious, interested, and eager to extract the audio from my ps2 games Tongue, and sorry for not being ontopic)

It's OK. I kinda expected it.

I'll give you and example with a Naruto game.
1/ Open the game file with MagicISO.
2/ Extract the AFS file(in our case SOUND.afs).
3/ Use AFS Explorer (v3.4 recommended because 3.7, which I think is the latest, might just close itself after you load the file) to load the SOUND.afs.
4/ Then you'll see some meaningless words on the left('condi', 'stED', something like that). Click bgm.afs and on the right you'll see a list of files with and extension .adx.
5/ Right click on a file and hit 'Play Track'(or whatever it is) to listen to it. Right click and 'Export' to save the individual file out of the afs.
6/ Open PSound and browse the exported file.
7/ Convert(in wav only).
8/ Feel the power!

And know that if your game doesn't have an .*afs file, it won't work.

Ontopic: Man, now I can't even edit Narutimate Accel 1's BGM! What am I missing here? Closedeyes
I think this limitation is because of the AFS archive size,you have to cake it bigger so you can save the files you replaced which are most likely bigger than the origins.

I've never used this program but by looking at the screenshoot this is just a guess.

btw the file is automatically extracted,converted to wav and saved in your temp directory(not like Cube Media Player which plays the file directly without extracting and converting)
(04-25-2009, 11:20 AM)vsub Wrote: I think this limitation is because of the AFS archive size,you have to cake it bigger so you can save the files you replaced which are most likely bigger than the origins.

I've never used this program but by looking at the screenshoot this is just a guess.

btw the file is automatically extracted,converted to wav and saved in your temp directory(not like Cube Media Player which plays the file directly without extracting and converting)
And that's where the problem is - it doesn't want to "cake" it bigger. My last resort is to import empty tracks but then I would have to lenghten the desired tracks. What's strange in the Narutimate games is that the tracks don't have a fade out effect. Instead there's a short prelude and the rest loops. But it's kinda hard to guess when exactly to cut it. Glare
Still, I would like to find out what's wrong with the whole picture.

You mean that PSound creates the wav files in the temp directory? I had no idea.
Sasuke Wrote:And that's where the problem is - it doesn't want to "cake" it bigger. My last resort is to import empty tracks but then I would have to lenghten the desired tracks. What's strange in the Narutimate games is that the tracks don't have a fade out effect. Instead there's a short prelude and the rest loops. But it's kinda hard to guess when exactly to cut it. Glare
Still, I would like to find out what's wrong with the whole picture.

Those songs don't have fade out or in,they just start normally and at certain point to song return to point where it give you the feeling that the song is endless.
For example one song is 10 seconds.It starts from 0 but when it reach to for example 8 seconds it returns to the second 2 and continue to second 8 and go back to second 2...(some songs play the whole 10 seconds file but after that go back to some point).Almost all of those songs don't have end(fade out).

If I can't find psf2 file or I don't want the big adx file(of some song) I just cut the song in the exact place where if gives you the feeling that the song never ends(mp3 file).I've maded a lot f songs that way.

Sasuke Wrote:You mean that PSound creates the wav files in the temp directory? I had no idea.

Yes and that's why I don't like this program to listen the songs.I just use Cube Media Player or XMPlayer with plugin for ADX
(04-25-2009, 04:19 PM)vsub Wrote: If I can't find psf2 file or I don't want the big adx file(of some song) I just cut the song in the exact place where if gives you the feeling that the song never ends(mp3 file).I've maded a lot f songs that way.
Heeeeey, you're right! Smile All I have to do is shorten the adx file(which I'll convert to wav, cut, convert back to adx and then import it). So simple and yet I didn't see it. That should definitely work! Cool Thanks a lot, vsub! Biggrin
I'll report back when I get some results.

update: Strange, but when I change the lenght of the track in GoldWave(using the Time Warp option) the result wav file is OK but when I convert it and import it the sound is cracky. Why? I tried saving the file in 8, 16, 32 bits and it's the same.
Sasuke Wrote: Heeeeey, you're right! Smile All I have to do is shorten the adx file(which I'll convert to wav, cut, convert back to adx and then import it). Yes, that should work! Cool Thanks a lot, vsub! Biggrin
I'll report back when I get some results.

The adx file have loop points so I don't know if it will work.In most of the cases when the song goes from the beginning to the end either is not looping song or at the end of the file has a loop point tо returns the seek to where it gives you the feeling that the song is endless.
(04-26-2009, 11:06 PM)vsub Wrote: The adx file have loop points so I don't know if it will work.In most of the cases when the song goes from the beginning to the end either is not looping song or at the end of the file has a loop point tо returns the seek to where it gives you the feeling that the song is endless.
Could be, but read the "update" in my previous post - I have another problem. I've tried with two different tracks and there was the same cracking when I imported the ready adx file. Every converted wav>adx file has cracky sound and I've tried reducing the volume - it didn't help.

edit: No, NO, NOOOO!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! Angry Even importing the empty adx files didn't help, my so called "last resort", pft... Glare After the Criware logo the screen stays white. :sigh: This is so... Closedeyes as if there's some invisible force that's depriving me from my lousy goal.

edit 2: OK, I just took SOUND.afs out of the equation and, of course, I was just wasting my time. I'm starting to ask myself why do I even bother. Even the things I did last year don't work now. Nothing works now! I feel the urge of breaking something! The hell with everything I just wanna know what gives! Angry
OK, breath... in-out, in-out... *gasp* there's some useless chair over there... I can probably shred it.

edit 3: I'm not done yet. Looks like I have a few ideas left.
OK, it's official. Every little change I make in the afs and then put in the game brakes it. The question is HOW DID IT MANAGE TO WORK BEFORE? I'll have to find out... somehow.

Final edit: Ha-HA! MADE IT... sort of. I've managed to import empty adx files and it worked. Why, you ask? *SFX: grasshopper* It turnes out I had to uncheck AFS Coherency Check and Ignore descriptor's length in the Configuration window. All those hours were wasted but I knew that I was gonna find a solution. Now the only thing that's left is to try to import adx files with music in the AFS file but... I'll just kick some behind for now.