Help with Dragon Quest VIII
After finally getting DQ VIII to work, Everything runs, its just that the performance is less than satisfactory, which makes me think my computer might not be powerful enough

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
RAM Memory: 2048MB
Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600
System: Windows XP Home Edition,

I can get up to around 50 FPS when walking around but it drops to 20 whenever I get into a conversation. any tips on how to improve? The help I need isn't mandatory, i would just like to get this game to play fast

Sponsored links

What is the clock speed? 2.7Ghz? Have you tried the speedhacks under the emulation settings in the "config" tab? However, if it is "GS" on the top of your client that is reaching close to 100%, there is nothing much you can do but try disabling/enabling "Allow 8-bit textures".
Want to contribute? Don't know how? Check out the PCSX2 Wiki page!

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
thanks for such a quick response. yeah, the speed is 2.7ghz. I have the speed hacks all the way over and not much change. :/ Also, the GS is only getting into the high 50's, low 60's
So it would be that your CPU is capping out then, even with speedhacks. It could be that the game you're trying to play has a lot of postprocessing effects. I only have a 2.33Ghz 4-core CPU and definitely cannot play some games at full speed even with full speedhacks.

If possible, you could try overclocking your CPU. Look up a guide online and see if it is feasible.

Edit: Also it could be possible, especially if the game zooms in during cutscenes, that the game is trying to use higher-quality models with more polygons.
Want to contribute? Don't know how? Check out the PCSX2 Wiki page!

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
I had an AMD 5200+ before. Unfortunate, it is a very slow processor (even when overclocked).

Regardless of what the GS% says, try lowering your internal resolution (check native). DQ8 can be GPU heavy.

Also, if Speedhacks aren't seeming to help much, then something else may be getting in the way (i.e. too high of a res for your GPU).

In the end, it is a pretty old CPU and rather slow. It roughly compares to a 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo in the PCSX2 benchmark. Even when I overclocked to 3.06Ghz, it only brought it up around a 2.1Ghz Core 2 Duo.