Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hidden Japanese Gems
Hi peeps,

I'm gonna be downloading PCSX2 soon for my new gaming PC, and I'm looking for Japanese games that perhaps weren't given the spotlight they deserve. Like PS2 titles that have an English language option or an English patch available online but aren't very well-known. Lesser-known gems people have discovered. I figure now is a good time to expand my gaming horizons and try something new. Can anyone hook me up with a few of their favourites?

Sponsored links

I've honestly never seen an English fan translation.... I've seen undubs, but never a fan translation.
The only fan translation of a Japanese game i played was the Super Robot Wars 3 translation for the SNES. There was a sequel for the PSX which i don't even remember.

Why aren't you googleing?
(09-21-2012, 12:43 PM)eight50 Wrote: The only fan translation of a Japanese game i played was the Super Robot Wars 3 translation for the SNES. There was a sequel for the PSX which i don't even remember.

Why aren't you googleing?

There are numerous for SNES etc. I meant that I never saw one for the PS2 and seen few for the PS1.
(09-21-2012, 05:39 AM)Amak Wrote: I've honestly never seen an English fan translation.... I've seen undubs, but never a fan translation.

Then you've missed Dragon Quest V Reprise and Front Mission 5.
monster hunter 2 has an english patch
There's also a re-translation for Ar tonelico 2 in the works that's apparently close to being done, so it does still happen, even with text-heavy games. But I guess that doesn't really count for the purposes of this topic, as Ar tonelico is available in English already and more or less well known. Smile

Back in the day, I used to play Tales of Rebirth using a fan-translated script alongside it, but IIRC ToR is available in English as a PSP port now. I think anyway. If not, try that, I liked it.
Ar Tonelico 2 dun need no fan translation! You can read "クローシェ様!" just fine on the english version. Yup.
[Image: nbKSK.jpg]
(09-21-2012, 01:08 PM)Amak Wrote: There are numerous for SNES etc. I meant that I never saw one for the PS2 and seen few for the PS1.
Then you have missed a few important homebrew releases.

One of the most important ones is the homebrew translation patch package for "Final Fantasy 12 International with Zodiac Job System" aka: FF12IZJS.

This is the japanese release with ID SLPM_667.50, and this version of the game has never been released in the western hemisphere.

The homebrew translation package was developed by a team under the leadership of well-known PS2 homebrewer ffgriever (who also designed ESR and the emulator PS2PSXe, which emulates PS1 on a PS2 in PS2 mode).

That translation package converts the entire FF12_IZJS game including all menus to English. I'm using v0.21 of the package, which is close to perfect, but if you can find any newer you should of course go for it.

NB: That patch requires original disc images of both the FF12_IZJS game, and the US release of the original FF12 game, for successful results.

Best regards: dlanor
Here you go, the thread of the patch (latest is 0.22): http://psx-scene.com/forums/f164/ff12-in...ion-62222/
[Image: newsig.jpg]