High-end PCs: Good enough or Wait to buy new PC?
(05-10-2010, 11:47 AM)Speedy42 Wrote: Dolphin is also optimized for Intel Processors.Also try x64 windows that gives a good speed boost in both the emulators(PCSX2 & DOLPHIN)

sadly it only gives a boost to dolphin not pcsx2 (but fore sure gives a boost in anything else Tongue )
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest

Sponsored links

Oh! Well that's a new one my mistake broSmile
Intel E5700 @3.0Ghz,
Xfx Radeon 5670 1Gb,
4Gb DDR3 Ram,
Microsoft Windows7 Ultimate x86
Well, I recently purchased a PNY (Nvidia Geforce GTX 470) graphics card. On my system (view my signature below for specs), using the PCSX2 0.9.6 still I get 60fps on any game I throw at it. I know I should upgrade to 0.9.7 but I'm lazy rofl.

I think that the Core i5-750/760 is a GREAT value. I paid $200 for my i5-750 and let me tell you, I replaced the god awful stock heatsink and fan then went to overclocking heaven. It's stock speed may be a bit slow at 2.66Ghz, but I got it to turbo boost at 3.8Ghz with NO *repeat* NO voltage increase.

I am also using a Zalman CNPS9700 cooler, which I never see temps above 55c. I also OC'ed my GTX 470 to 700Mhz core and 1.4Ghz shader, which Fermi based GPU's are known to be hot. I manually set the fan speed to 70%, and I can hear it a little but I also have an Antec Nine-Hundred case so I can hear the other fans also.

My GTX 470 never goes above 80c, which is great. I also have my old Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB SC just for Physx, (but that does nothing for PCSX2), I keep it for when I play my PC games. This setup gets me no lag or framerate issues in any of the games I play. I'm just waiting for a new driver release for these Fermi cards so I can get even better performance for free!

So If you want a nice setup, take it from me! the Intel Core i5-7xx series is a GREAT value. Not to mention the PNY GTX 470 I got for $299 USD comes with a lifetime warranty when you register it. I don't regret my purchases at all. Just be sure the rest of your system can handle this power. When the price of the GTX 470's drop, I'm going to buy another one to SLI this. I might need to buy a new Power Supply then ; ;. Maybe I'll get an Antec 1000W+ PSU when I SLI this *****! hahahaha!
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |
I recommend to wait a new Sandybridge processors, they could be much better (or maybe not). but. at least, they would have more GGz's for the same cost.
(05-09-2010, 01:03 PM)midlothian Wrote:
(05-09-2010, 01:09 AM)rama Wrote: midlothian:
Don't forget these "bargain Intel i7 920" are meant to be overclocked.
I don't see how that chip at 4Ghz can be too slow for future software, and AMD's Phenom 2 chips are not.
Please remember that for PCSX2 (and all other emulators) an Intel cpu is still preferred.

Edit:
Oh, and let's not forget that currently 90% of all desktop applications can't max out 3 cores.
In the foreseeable future this will not change.

Yeah, exactly as you said, to be honest the only clever solution for somebody that is buying new pc now is to buy cpu with at lest 3 cores that is why I wouldn't recommend to anyone i5-6xx. Overclocking is always bit risky but overclocking like from 2.66GHz to 4GHz is stupidity, you won't do that without huge bump of core voltage. I've overclocked mine cpu to last stable frequency on stock voltage and the temperatures haven't changed much - I do have good cooler. And amd phenom II X4 965 or X6 1090T both outperforms bargain i7's in almost every way. The only cases when i7's seems to be little bit better than amd are benchmarks specially design for intel architecture.
I only needed to bump my voltage up by 0.5 to overclock from 2.8Ghz to 4.0Ghz on my i7 930.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
Something about Sandy Bridge being limited to a 2-3% overclock seems unappealing to me. They may start at higher clocks, but that's were they'll remain...
If rumor are true, sandy bridge can be overclock with the PLL multiplier as AMD actually. Overclock the base frequency will disappear for both reasons turbo and north-bridge move into the cpu die. They could multiply the PLL (clock generator) but it will cost more silicon. Moreover multiple clock domains tends to reduce performance at the interface albeit very good for power.

The real advantage of the new cpu is new instructions set SSE, AVX. And also new hardware stuff (not x86 core but specialized core). It is said that AMD bulldozer will come with a FMAC (finally). The PS2 ~10 FMAC is one big source of it compute power.
I get 30-40 FPS in FFX, FFX-2 and about 30 in FFXII so you don't need anything absolutely exceptional to run these games. I even get about 14-24 FPS in MGS3 (speedhacks are ineffectual on that game).

So really you just need a processor 2-3 times faster than mine if you want to run MGS3 full speed (I still have the game for the console though so I don't really need to emulate it).

Well, that's easy. Any of the i7 processors will service you well, especially if you overclock 15-25%. My 8600GT is fine with FFX and FFX-2 up to 2048x1536 D3D internal res so a GTS 250 would work pretty well for you.

And when it comes to AMD vs. Intel it's basically AMD wins with floating point with their Phenom II and Intel is best for integer calculations. Since most programs rely on integer your pretty much always better off with an Intel processor.

CPUs from Intel cost a premium... and this is one of the reasons why I've waited so long to upgrade from my Pentium 4. I kind of want to go to Core 2 but then again at the same time I want to wait it out until the i5 and i7 gradually become more affordable. The problem is with the newer processors is that I have to swap out my CPU, and really the best bang for the buck might just be to swap out my motherboard for an AM3 socket for 70 USD and just get a Phenom II X4 for 100 USD and for the price of a C2Q I could get a very decent processor that outperforms most Core 2 processors (especially if overclocked). The X6 would be excellent for video conversion or any program that supports pretty much any number of threads (Like Swiftshader or FFDShow).

For PCSX2 though I'm best getting the processor that's fastest on a 2-core basis.
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
The Core i5-750/760 is actually very cheap. They are quad cores for $150-$200. You can also get P55 Motherboard's for $80-$140. They can OC from 3.4Ghz-4.0Ghz on air. Just don't use the stock heatsink/fan. They will crush AMD's offering and they are not as expensive as the i7's. I love my setup and it works great for me.

My system does not have a problem with PCSX2 that I have noticed so far, so that was a very solid purchase for me. I'd recommend it to anyone. Hyperthreading does not really offer any major benefit right now, unless you run a program that takes advantage of multi core CPU's past 4 cores. The Core i5-750/760 is a very nice CPU.
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |
My i7 930 is like $300 (Canada), and ASUS P6X58D-E $150. There are cheap good overclocking mobos for i7, and you can get i7 930 cheap for like $199.99 at Microcenters (US only). Though no one really needs i7s except for benchmarking or encoding/rendering.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24