High-spec computer - optimal settings for prettiest graphics?
Hi there! I'm not sure if I posted this in the right section since it's quite miscellaneous in nature, but I hope I'm being accurate enough.

My rig is as follows:

i5 2500k @4.5 GHz (w/ a decent custom cooler),
Radeon HD 6850 (ASUS version, slightly oc'd),
8 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM,
Windows 7 x64,
and the rest I guess is irrelevant.

It's been enough to run games on PCSX2 (3 - Balanced preset) on 1920x1080 (Full HD) resolution, while recording it with Fraps, all this at a 99.9 % solid FPS of 60.

With that out of the way, I'll say I've already emulated games for quite some time (without knowing all that much of the mechanics), and I've been very happy with it so far. Details are very crisp (especially for PS2 games) and so on.

This just leaves me wondering if there are any custom shaders and/or anti-aliasing settings/extensions for PCSX2 that would further improve the graphics, since I think my computer still has extra power left for such finesse. I'm already using a custom shader on my PSX (PS1) emulator with satisfying results, so I wondered if there was anything similar for PCSX2. Something to soften the sharp edges (anti-aliasing, multisampling or whatever it is that you call it), or otherwise add a nice touch to graphics (some kind of custom shader that you guys think is nicer than whatever Gsdx has inbuilt).

Tl;dr: I have a good computer and I'm wondering if there are any extra tweaks, plugin extensions or whatever (such as custom shaders and/or anti-aliasing) that would further enhance graphics over the as-is level of PCSX2. I'm far from an emulation/programming geek so layman's terms would be appreciated. Tongue

Sponsored links

Check Custom-Shaders-for-GSdx for shaders and a modified version of GSDX to load them.

Edit: The page-up key will enable the loaded sharders, in the unmodified build of GSDX this enables FXAA.
I checked that thread before posting this (forgot to mention that), but I had no idea if one of them would actually be a better all-around solution than what Gsdx already has, or if it was just emulation geeks having fun with custom stuff. Tongue

So is this KrossX Overlay Bloom shader good?
It does make colours more vivid and less washed out, but can make games appear darker.
here's comparison of gow2 with/without custom shader (bloom+sharpen)
too bad pcsx2 still not working with fxaa ppi

normal 4x hw resolution

4x resolution + custom shader with bloom+sharpen

my specs:
i5 [email protected]
GTX 470 1G+

edit:i have gsdx built in fxaa "on" by default, gsdx.ini, fxaa=1
Thanks for the replies.

I personally prefer the normal picture, to be honest. The coloring of the second one looks off, almost, and less 'pleasant' to the eye due to its increased sharpness. That's just my opinion though...

Is it true that fxaa only works with nVidia GPUs?
no fxaa should work with any cards (its mxaa or something thats nvidea exclusive)

however i believe nvidea's is easier to work with and has greater compatibility with programs
[Main Computer] - CPU: I7 950 @ 3.2Ghz | GPU: Twin Nvidea GTS 450's SLI'd | RAM: 8GB DDR3 - 1600MHz | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | EMU: PCSX2 v1.0 | GS: GSdx32-SSE4 | SPU2: SPU2-X | PAD LilyPad | CDVD ****
(08-04-2012, 10:26 AM)soratidus999 Wrote: no fxaa should work with any cards (its mxaa or something thats nvidea exclusive)

however i believe nvidea's is easier to work with and has greater compatibility with programs

none of them are really vendor exclusive.

TXAA is only locked to Kepler gpu's for marketting bs.
Alright, sounds awesome. I entered that fxaa=1 line into gsdx.ini.

If anyone knows of any custom shaders that improve ps2 graphics (at higher resolutions in particular), please do let me know. Smile
The shadeboost option in GSdx can make a pretty big difference. Just increase contrast and saturation a bit for a nice effect.
Also I recommend you go back to preset 2 (safe faster) because the higher levels start to add cycle hacks which your machine shouldn't need.