Higher res = higher FPS
So, I stumble across something strange that I've never seen before. I decided to make this thread to share this oddity, ask others to try it, and maybe even get some feedback from the devs as to how this makes sense.

I've only seen this effect one GPU limiting scene at this time, and that would be in Final Fantasy X, when casting Demi. I was doing this on my laptop with a GT 230M, so you may need a GPU that's truely limited at native res by this affect to see a benefit (or for this to even matter).

When using Native resolution, the framerate can drop as low as ~54fps.
When using a custom resolution of 720x720, the framerate never drops below ~65fps.
The FPS does vary depending on camera angles, but I have gone through all the same angles to be certain.

It's very odd to have it look better, and run faster, right? Another member here (Livy) told me they had 24fps at Native, and 41fps at 720x720.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I can't quite understand how higher res improves the FPS here, but I'm guessing it may have something to do with the res being square, and most likely something to do with this scene specifically.

Sponsored links

I stumbled across something similar when learning directX and couldnt really explain it. As far as anybody could tell me, it's something to do with modern graphics cards handling larger textures better than smaller ones. so in my tests going from 800x600 to 1280x1024 doubled my fps, was very strange ;p
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

hmm i use fullscreen no problem at all
you just need to play with option adjust thing and speedhacks

Direct X 11(Quality based)
Direct X 9(performance based)
this 2 direct totally different
hell321 dude, if you run on Vista and/or Windows 7 it is recommended to run on DX10 or 11 anyway, since those are faster then DX9 ever will be, ofcourse your hardware says it all, but still DX10/11 is faster then DX9 atleast for me it is Smile
and they are talking about resolution not fullscreen...

Anyway.. is it better to use custom resolution or I can simply use nativex2/x3
Usually better to use Scaling multipliers (x2/x3) but sometimes you can benefit from custom resolutions like the thin vertical lines in namco fighting games that need specific resolutions. Depends on the game.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-24-2011, 12:24 AM)refraction Wrote: I stumbled across something similar when learning directX and couldnt really explain it. As far as anybody could tell me, it's something to do with modern graphics cards handling larger textures better than smaller ones. so in my tests going from 800x600 to 1280x1024 doubled my fps, was very strange ;p

its the same as modern cards handling 32bit framebuffers faster than 16bit these days.
(09-24-2011, 02:22 AM)StriFe79 Wrote: hell321 dude, if you run on Vista and/or Windows 7 it is recommended to run on DX10 or 11 anyway, since those are faster then DX9 ever will be, ofcourse your hardware says it all, but still DX10/11 is faster then DX9 atleast for me it is Smile

XS2 and 3 function better with D3D9
I get a similar thing happening in Star ocean 3 . When I run it at 2X native I get slow speeds in menus around 37 fps and good speeds in battle and walking around ~60 fps but when I set it to custom res to 1280X960 I get faster speeds in menus ~45 fps and even at 1280X1080 ~42 fps while the walking around speed remains the same (with my Radeon HD3200 integrated card). These resolutions are approximately 2X native but i get better speeds in menus when I set them manually than with the XXnative (2,3,4 etc.)

At native I was getting 122/107 fps (ingame/menus respectively)
and at 720x720 115/85 fps (ingame/menus respectively)

So it seems I am only getting this for 2x native and higher but not native...
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU
Hrm, it'd be nice to make a database of some sort for these. Those are pretty big fps hikes. Just seems like something that's kinda hard to catch. Question is, is it the same custom resolution or multiplier that helps per game? When it comes to common hardware anyway (newer ATI and Nvidia)?
frame limiter is a must if don't have this limiter your game run very fast

one thing i got try

DirectX 11 hardware
frame limiter base 200%
slow motion 100%
turbo 300%

EE-1(emotion engine) VU-0

it break fps limiter in persona 3 fes to 100+ fps
so i tune down the turbo to 100%
i get constant fps 59-61fps frame limiter running smooth opening persona 3 fes game(fullscreen)