Horrible graphical errors and slow fps in Ubuntu 14.04
I just recently installed PCSX2 from the PPA for Ubuntu 14.04. It seems to play most of the video cutscenes and menus right at 60fps but whenever the actual game starts with all the 3D graphics. It just looks horribly glitchy and totally unplayed. It usually dips down to 20fps or less.
I'm using AMD proprietary drivers.
Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Linux 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64
Physical RAM = 3829 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 03)
CPU speed = 3.189 ghz (4 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 7ffafbff
x86EFlags = 2c100000
The graphics card is HD7790 1GB.
The games I've tried so far are Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and Black both in ISO form.

Sponsored links

what version of the proprietary drivers are you using? i use the xorg edgers ppa so i dont know the default version. also with every advancement with catalyst there also seems to be a regression. mesa is more stable and accurate but lower performance. what is the terminal output during the errors? also if you could get a nvidia card its like the difference between night and day in pcsx2.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(05-15-2014, 09:49 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: what version of the proprietary drivers are you using? i use the xorg edgers ppa so i dont know the default version. also with every advancement with catalyst there also seems to be a regression. mesa is more stable and accurate but lower performance. what is the terminal output during the errors? also if you could get a nvidia card its like the difference between night and day in pcsx2.

I'm also using the xorg edgers ppa, so I'm guessing it's the latest one?
Also this is what I see when I start training mission in Star Wars: Battlefront II
[Image: 3He66Dg.jpg]
I turned on all the options under the source menu and let the game run until I got to the start of the mission where it all goes tits up.
http://pastebin.com/nU54kE6q
definitely looks like a driver issue. what is the terminal output while the problem is occurring? have you tried software mode with catalyst? mesa driver too?

90% of probability that you force your driver to use anisotropic filtering. Or others bad filtering.

You can also test the gsdx plugin.
(05-17-2014, 10:13 AM)gregory Wrote: 90% of probability that you force your driver to use anisotropic filtering. Or others bad filtering.

You can also test the gsdx plugin.

I checked and I had no special graphics options enabled in Catalyst. I also went back to mesa drivers and the same thing happened.

Also I hope this is the right terminal output http://pastebin.com/0LsrZ4jB
Do you have the issue on all games? Try the sw rendrer of gsdx plugin. Be sure to disable all speedhack for now.
(05-17-2014, 06:50 PM)gregory Wrote: Do you have the issue on all games? Try the sw rendrer of gsdx plugin. Be sure to disable all speedhack for now.

It doesn't seem to happen with every game. For example Micro Machines works it just runs at 40-50fps. I tested with gsdx in sw render mode and Battlefront 2 seems to freeze the program when it gets past the training cutscene and into the game. Black also works but the fps is quite low at about 20-30fps.
have fun trying to download amd catalyst drivers. hard to install Sad
Specifications:

AMD Sempron 3850 @ 1.3GHz
Zotac Geforce GT 640 2GB
4GB RAM
Kubuntu Linux 14.10 STS
For Ubuntu-like systems, use the xorg edgers PPA for gpu drivers.